Willie’s Fort Lauderdale & Havana Adventure

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

I think any longhaul FLL service might be dependent on a runway extension at FLL:

“On June 5, 2007, Broward County commissioners voted six to three in favor of extending the southern 9R/27L runway. The proposal looks to extend the runway to over 8,000 ft (2,400 m). over a five year period. Currently, the plan is being sent for approval by the FAA.[6]”

However, it’s already set for 767 flights, and if a few of those were converted from shorthaul to longhaul configuration….

NewBAexec
    Participant

I met a BA manager yesterday based at London Gatwick, and he said they are looking into bringing the B767 longhaul config. down in order to operate some new routes at the base.

Since VK has mentioned about the length of the runway in FLL, it would make sense to operate it on the B767.

Also then, Gatwick being the Premium leisure hub of UK and Europe, BA can move flights to Bahamas, Cayman Islands and Turks and Caicos Islands from Heathrow to Gatwick.

I know there has been a mention of them being bussiness routes also and the need for connections. It is the same for Barbados, Bermuda and Port of Spain which are also business routes and operate out of Gatwick. Also I was told Mauritius would never move to Gatwick due to all the connections at Heathrow, but it is moving anyway.

Sparepocket
    Participant

Good luck to BA if they’re trying to secure landing slots at Goa.The Indian government is notoriously protective about the slots at Goa and in all the years only Qatar Airways and Sri Lankan have been granted those rigths (in addition to the chav-laden charter flights from Europe).
    BA wilI find it extremely difficult to secure those slots. Walsh/BA can’t expect to simply turn up and land those slots (excuse the pun).The Raj ended a long time ago, dear boy.
    If the Indian government really wanted to open up Goa to more international traffic (and,eventually,they will) I’m sure preference will be given to Air India, Jet, and Kingfisher.
    Lufthansa (“Lufty” to some of you…you know who you are)have a big presence in India and, in a survey (focused on international passenger numbers flying in and out of India) in today’s Times of India, were the only European carrier in the top ten.BA didn’t feature in the top 10.Emirates were actually the number one carrier, outselling even the local carriers.
    I would imagine Lufthansa carries more clout than BA with the Ministry of Aviation in Delhi.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sadly, Sparepocket (Rest in Peace) you were entirely incorrect.

BA has indeed pulled the rabbit out of the hat and managed to obtain slots for Goa.

No Havana, Sri Lanka or Bali as yet, but it has been confirmed that new routes will be launched exLGW and tickets will go on sale by the end of 2011.

They will be Fort Lauderdale, Goa [winter only], the Seychelles and Phuket (Thailand), exactly as I predicted back in 2010.

LGW will be getting three extra 777s for Summer 2012 (starting March) plus an extra two on option to cover the operation during this busy period.

This has been made possible by the newly delivered 777-300ERs at LHR and the more efficient use of BA/QF metal on flights to Sydney.

No word on whether they’ll be three or four class, but I’m sure BT is on the case….

This is a great move, and one which positions Gatwick firmly as the Premium Leisure hub for BA.

Binman62
    Participant

GOA must surely be a seasonal route only? Even the hotels close down during the monsoon.
    SEZ is back on the network but can’t think of a good reason why! The Kate and wills effect? What next? More services to ABZ?
    Phuket is very disappointing though I can of course understand the commercial attraction. Malaysia Vietnam or Cambodia would have been better from a purely personal point of view.
    BA lack of presence in Asia remains a huge hole.
    The HKG extras may offer an opportunity to expand to Manila, Cebu, SEL and TPE again which would help but the boat well and truly missed to DPS where KLM Qatar CX and SQ dominate.
    FLL does provide a welcome addition to Florida.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Goa will indeed be seasonal, I believe.

Which makes one think about which route the aircraft might be deployed upon in the off season.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

London to Victorville, perhaps?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Certainly not Victorville, there’s plenty of life in BA’s 49 777s yet.

The average is just 11 years old, the oldest was new in late 1995.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Whose talking about scrapping them?

Storage for a quiet season, especially if the aircraft is nearing major check, can be a commercially shrewd move.

Bullfrog
    Participant

One reads of the new routes being started by airlines other than BA.

I saw great fanfare for the starting of LHR to San Diego, and sad news that BA to Australia will be down to one daily flight to Sydney.

It is disappointing that this topic was started 15 months ago.

I hope BA prove me wrong, but the airline seems very slow to grow new business.

openfly
    Participant

Thanks VK for categorically announcing the new long-haul routes from LGW next summer season.

This now confirms that the 767 will be brought down to LGW as FLL is far too short for a 777…unless VK can arrange to have the runway extended in 6 months.

VK your information comes from rumour headquarters. To make such profound ”announcements” beggers belief because it gives the competition a lead. Even senior management has not been briefed on the new routes yet. I know that you like the world to think that you are secretly running BA and give the impression of importance. Please take one step backwards and think before you press the enter key.

Hippocampus
    Participant

If BA really wants to serve a destination like FLL that can only be
    operated with a 767 then I think BA would operate it from LHR rather than LGW (despite higher operating costs there).

There is a lot of cost and complexity in adding another fleet type at LGW (not least one that is due to leave the airline in a few years) and it would be a part reversal of the strategy to simplify ops at LGW so I think any rumours that the 767s are coming to LGW should be put to bed.

As for the destinations mentioned, they have been doing the rounds for a while. I’m not sure whether there is hard new info here or the rumours are just circling and mutating from rumours to “strong rumours”. Four new long haul destinations is quite a lot to launch in one go at LGW.

BGIWorldTraveller
    Participant

I would hope that they are looking into ICN. It’s beyond me why BA doesn’t fly there from LHR.

Hippocampus
    Participant

The problem with ICN and other Asian routes is that the position of LHR limits connecting traffic from mainland Europe and at ICN there is no local partner for onward connections.

I expect we’ll see new/reestablished Asian routes when the 787s are in operation in 2013.

RichHI1
    Participant

Intrigued by VK’s commnest on HNL. I have had numerous convrsations with airline executives about direct services from LHR and Europe to HNL. The issue apparently is one of revenue balance and is similar to the issues the US airliens face in that few carriers show a profit on Hawaii services. LH did some test flights just before 9/11 but they too now say it is unlikely to be profitable. The nearest to a crumb of comfort I have had did relate to 787 but the indications were it was unlikely to offer a first class cabin which on a 14 hour flight would be a big negative for me. Also HNL immigration is not the greatest although hopefully as the only flight at that time, things may be better han on asian arrivals in the morning. IS there a BA proposal on HNL that is costed with 787?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls