Willie Walsh: 2010 Hero!

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

A nice piece in..wait for it..The Independent of all places:

Willie Walsh: Hero

“Chief executive, British Airways

Willie Walsh has had a good year. Arguably the gods have not been on his side, what with volcanic ash in April and unmanageable snowfall in December. But Mr Walsh has won victories in his campaign to drag Britain’s once-public flagcarrier into the modern age. First, merger negotiations with Spain’s Iberia finally came together. Then BA’s not-quite-merger with American Airlines was cleared by regulators on both sides of the Atlantic, notwithstanding the opposition of rival Sir Richard Branson. Even Mr Walsh’s stand-off with the trade unions, facing down repeated strikes over terms and conditions for cabin staff, can be considered a success.

The spat is not over – Unite is re-balloting its 10,000 BA members and warning the row is “deepening”. But in reality the terms and conditions are already in force, BA kept most of its planes flying during the strikes, and the public appetite is waning for industrial action by people lucky enough to have jobs.”

A well deserved accolade, and great that he will be going out on a high, having set a strong foundation for the future success of the airline.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/the-business-heroes-and-villains-of-2010-2168386.html

markymark
    Participant

Well you should tell him as soon as possible, perhaps he will give you a pay rise, after all you spend so much time doing PR for them.

Bullfrog
    Participant

@VintageKrug

I’m delighted with the progress made by Mr Walsh in dealing with the Unions, & I say that as a shareholder.

As a passenger that has recently travelled in BA’s new First Class cabin, I can not express delight. The new seat is a slight improvement in comfort. The experience from check in, through to boarding and quality of food deserves no praise.

Attention to detail & accountability is sadly lacking.

If BA wish to continue with a First Class product, they need to learn from Cathay Pacific & make the necessary changes.

My personal preference for a business class product is that of the ‘herringbone’ layout used by carriers such as Virgin & Air New Zealand.

BA’s failure in their First Class will lead me personally to take my business elsewhere, and sadly it will not be in BA’s over crowded Club Class cabin.

davidmcdougall
    Participant

I believe that the reason Walsh had to deal with the unions was because of his style of management and his unwavering belief that he should be obeyed and his dictatcs followed to the letter. That was an issue he created so why should he be praised for dealing with it??
    Furthermore in terms of improving BA’s product, customer relations, coporate profile and performance I don’t think that he has been a remarkable success at any of these.
    BA no longer offer a competitive or the best product. They have an ageing fleet and have as yet to take delivery of the A380.
    As a company and like the UK in general the past 15 years has been one of decline and not advancement.
    Good luck with your awards from fellow corporate high fliers but the real accolades you should be seeking are from the people who pay to fly and these will be in short supply.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The heading should be changed to

“Cabin Crews” – the real heros to 2010!

……….for putting up with Willie Walsh vrs BASSA………………….

I have never met Willie Walsh, he always seems to be hiding, but I have met hundreds of cabin crew especially on the long haul flights. 98% of the crews I have encountered have provided me with a great service. Down route, when they are off duty and I have met up, they are a colourful lot, choosing a life style which is challenging at the best of times. Unlike flight deck crew who work behind closed doors, cabin crew are pax facing put up with the “errors and ommissions” in a very professional way. They are told when to fly and have little control over rostas unlike their fellow team members on the flight deck.

I know a lot of you view cabin crew as unskilled labour, but all crew work as a team, and the continuing Walsh vrs Bassa in my mind makes the cabin crew the heroes, for being able to deliver in what can only be described as volatile times.

Willie may be the CEO of a very large company, but that does not make him a hero!

batraveller2
    Participant

Martyn – I agree with you entirely! Cabin crew on UK domestic and long haul (excluding my flight to Las Vegas in Club) have been excellent and should be praised. I believe it is the crew which often make BA which Willie Walsh is intent on destroying.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Well said Martyn.

I don’t question the rational behind his actions this year, only his execution method and the long term impact that will have,

Hippocampus
    Participant

Hero may not be the best choice of words, but he deserves credit for addressing the major strategic issues facing the company which his predecessors failed to do and went for the easier option of dodging the issues.

He has rationalised Head Office numbers, reformed ground staff working practices, addressed the pensions deficit, got TATL ATI with American agreed, and agreed a cross border merger. None of his predecessors did this.

The claim that he is intent on destroying BA is hyperbole.

On the unions, in the past IA at BA has often followed a familiar template whereby the company and the unions would negotiate on an issue and the unions would obtain a strong strike mandate and a compromise reached at the 11th hour, thus, as WW has said himself rewarding unions for calling strike ballots. WW has broken that template. A vote to strike is just that, not a witless means of “sending a message”.

He also deserves credit for his calm dignified stance in the face if relentless goading from BASSA which has ranged from the puerile (“Willie is pants” to the grossly offensive (WW being portrayed as Adolf Hitler).

Martyn, on the point you make about cabin crew rosters, all fleets apart from LHR Worldwide do have a form of bidding system so there is some control over rosters. The company did propose a bidding system for LHR Worldwide but BASSA would not entertain the idea.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think the calm dignified stance is worthy of every penny he gets paid when faced with the puerile and intellectually barren approach taken by this example of BASSA supporters industrial relations:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0baM6ERf2xdXN/439x.jpg

SimonS1
    Participant

Pass the sick bag, please.

davidmcdougall
    Participant

Do you work for BA/ Willie Walsh or are you related to him in some way.
    Lets keep it real and not go overboard

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The sick bag is not only full but overfloweth…………..!

The posted picture is obviously one of the 2% non heros. Glad some consider that Willy may find it difficult to work under such conditions, the rest of cabin crew are the heros for putting up with these villains and as for the passengers, even bigger heros for knowing how some of the 2% feel.

Happy days for 2011.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls