Will Qatar Be 1st to Join Oneworld?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

This predates both of those issues. It is also a question that I would put to those “conspicuous Europeans” at AF who, almost invariably, buy American engines for their planes.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest report quotes QR’s Al Baker as saying today in Abu Dhabi “[QR] is open to joining any alliance” …. “but if it will impede our growth, we are not interested.”

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-02/qatar-airways-open-to-joining-any-alliance-ceo-al-baker-says

transtraxman
    Participant

From Reuters website
    By Regan Doherty and Rhys Jones

DOHA/LONDON | Tue Oct 2, 2012 4:16pm BST

“ONEWORLD MEMBERSHIP?

Baker also said Qatar was not preparing to join the oneworld alliance after sources close to the airline group said that next week it would become the first Gulf carrier to join.

Alliances were formed in the 1990s to help airlines benefit from each other’s marketing and routes in the face of tightly controlled bilateral traffic rights. So far the Gulf carriers have refrained from joining as they build up big networks alone.

“Qatar Airways is not considering joining oneworld at this time,” Baker said.

Earlier on Tuesday sources close to the alliance said Qatar Airways would be unveiled as the group’s latest member at a news conference in New York planned for Monday.

Baker added he was not going to New York this weekend.”

VintageKrug
    Participant

Al Baker may not be travelling to New York, but as mentioned earlier the Reuters source isn’t as reliable as the FT.

And it should be noted that “cultural norms” as regards honesty may well be behind Al Baker’s approach to this denial.

transtraxman
    Participant

This was published on CAPA less than two hours ago.

“With Qatar Airways as new member, oneworld seeks to re-gain momentum but may become more divisive.”

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/with-qatar-airways-as-new-member-oneworld-seeks-to-re-gain-momentum-but-may-become-more-divisive-84303

LeTigre
    Participant

Someone is lying but it is impossible to say who.

Hugely annoying!

RBrown9
    Participant

My guess would be Gulfair. Their relatively newish CEO was formerly CEO of RJ and GF certainly is complimentary to (and does code share with) RJ. Add to this the fact that GF one of GF’s few remaining longhaul routes (with two flights per day) is LHR with excellent connections within the ME region, subcontinent and North/East Africa. GF is also muted to win a license to operate flights within Saudi. And GF seems to be turning the corner. Their service, product and punctuality are amongst the best of the GCC carriers. Both BA and CX operate to Bahrain as doe RJ.

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

We’ll see on Monday if Qatar or rather Al Baker was telling porkies, if so then surely nobody will ever believe a denial from him again!

KSHaggag
    Participant

I was expecting a lot of hot debate in this thread now that all (( porkies )) have been unveiled …QR has made it easy for us ,FFP members striving all year round to safeguard our Gold membership with the QR Privilege Club ( for nothing tangible in return ) …now we can keep our BA Exec Club or CX Asia Miles accounts and just use QR when absolutely necessary while still maintaining our Gold status with them….thanks QR ..you have made the job easy for us by concentrating on other carriers and still be Gold with you …..wonderful !!!….

BigDog.
    Participant

Methinks it is a shrewd, but not unpredictable move by the canny Al Baker, IMO there are many Oneworld FF members who have not had the pleasurable experience of flying with QR.

Once frequent flyers try it, I believe QR will become their oneworld carrier of choice when remotely convenient. Once the numbers are up they can change the game. Watch QR’s Oneworld market share rise and rise plus a boost to Oneworld share as a whole. Good marketing.

Hopefully the knock-on will be for BA to rise its game or risk losing the premium F & J hand over fist.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I did fly with QR hundreds of times to all parts of the world in all cabins ( F,J,Y ) and can confirm that the quality and standards on this airline were indeed high a few years ago but i personally have started to identify some sort of a decline in those standards ..moreover the Privilege Club ( FFP ) is becoming less attractive …..I am still questioning the Skytrax Award of World s Best Airline for a second time ………

BigDog.
    Participant

Not having had tried Hainan nor Asiana I can only see SQ as being in competition for the crown KSHaggag – who would you vote for?

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi BigDog,….I frankly have never sampled Hainan ..Asiana I did on two occasions ..very good …….SQ is the QUEEN OF THE SKIES …….No debate ..no discussion …no negotiations ….I love a bunch of other carriers e.g. CX ,LX,EY,etc ..but still SQ is in a world apart ( in my eyes ) …..CX comes next …still need to try KE to judge ..

BigDog.
    Participant

Yes KSHaggag – am in full agreement with you.

KSHaggag
    Participant

However …………..CX beats SQ on the ground at its home base when it comes to lounges ….I have always been a GREAT fan of the CX lounges at HKG Chek Lap Kok airport …….SQ needs to work on its Silver Kris lounge facilities at Changi ………..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls