Why BA is so secretive regarding its B777?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

Impossible to know after a flight whether the B777 flown was a 200, a 200ER or a 300ER. Why on earth is BA so secretive about it?

RichHI1
    Participant

I suspect they do not publicize as they swap equipment (especially after new first overpromise debacle. All you have to do is look up Tail number on BAsource on your smartphone. Tail number is displayed at front of the cabin as well as tail on most aircraft.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks, Rich. Can you believe I didn’t know the BAsource… And the other similar websites are not as precise when it comes to BA.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The 300s are longer than the 200s 😉

Swissdiver
    Participant

… and all ER at BA! There are however 3 -200, the 3 being rather old compared to the -200ER…

RichHI1
    Participant

Apart from the obvious as in ER are there any other differences between 200 and 200ER? All the AA fleet currently are ER due to their route pattern. I think UAL may have some 200. Anyone flown 200LR on a carrier? Is that any diferent in layout?

Bucksnet
    Participant

All 3 models of the 200 are exactly the same size; the difference is the range they can fly. Layout is down to individual airlines.

ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

The other difference is the power – engine supplier.
    The early BA 777’s were powered by General Electric.
    BA then swapped to Rolls Royce for their remaining 200 series.
    The power plant however on ALL 777 300 ER, whatever the airline is General Electric – they are the exclusive provider.

RichHI1
    Participant

And it was only the Rolls Royce powered craft that were affected by the icing in the fuel feed (leading to the Heathrow crash) if memory serves which is probably why GE is sole supplier. Given the problmes with RR engines on A380 I wonder who BA will specify on A380’s?

Bucksnet
    Participant

GE was selected as the sole supplier on the next-gen 777s long before the LHR crash.

RichHI1
    Participant

Good decision then…

Swissdiver
    Participant

Rich,

Yes -200 and -200ER are the same. When Boeing launched the ER, most of the airlines selected this version. As a result, only a few -200 were produced (88 vs. 415+ -200ER). BA has only 3 left and they are the older in the 777 fleet.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Btw, 5 years of full details (with a few missing months though) are available on http://www.acarsd.org/world_ACARS_reports.html. Just open the .txt file within your browser and “Find” in the page your flight number (must be 4 digits so add the relevant number of 0s).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls