Who is UK’s Flag Carrier ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

• GoonerLondon
    Participant

Singapore is a member of the commonwealth…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republics_in_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations

GoonerLondon
    Participant

I think the term ‘flag carrier’ is more about an airline being ‘sponsored’ to fly to destinations by the government, which is an effect, a subsidy.

I also think this has been expanded over the years to include ‘vanity routes’ – so airlines can keep pins on maps

Of course this has all been blown out the water in recent years. Some airlines still seem to like a bit of vanity flying (e.g. certain airlines flying to African destinations) but the majority are pretty focused on every route paying its way.

Moreover, which government is prepared to pay taxpayer’s money to keep airlines flying to routes (save those counties with long-haul out-islands)?

So I think this is a redundant term – before we even think about applying it to a UK based carrier.

(Even though I was tempted to post based on the implied ‘which carrier best exports British values…’)

continentalclub
    Participant

I think, in all fairness, the most prevalent understanding of what constitutes a Commonwealth ‘member’ is actually a so-called Commonwealth Realm, of which neither Singapore nor Hong Kong is.

The point is somewhat moot however, as there is no practical or economic rationale whatsoever for any other carrier to be used other than a UK-based one, with whom the Royal Household, Special Branch and other relevant agencies already have pre-existing relationships.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Hess – “So, blokes..”

Who says I’m a bloke?

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Well Singapore was a colony – but we’re talking about the Commonwealth of Nations, a membership which includes those who have never been a British colony. Mozambique for one!

I think what you are getting at is not which countries were colonies – but which have retained The Queen as head of state. This is a smaller group and includes Australia, New Zealand, Canada, The Bahamas, and a number of Caribbean Nations.

You then have a number of nations that became republics that are in the commonwealth which is much larger (India, most of the African members etc.)

And then you have republics that chose not to be part of the commonwealth such as Ireland and…um….the ….USA !! Both are eligible though!

So why shouldn’t HM fly an airline of a country in which she is Head of State?

Uncledude
    Participant

NTarrant: Thomas Cooks has not been German owned since July 2009. Its is now virtually 100% British.

VintageKrug
    Participant

When travelling, there is nothing like stepping out of the fierce heat in some Third World hellhole into a cool BA plane and being greeted by a British Airways crewmember.

The kettle will be on shortly, and it feels like you are home already.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

VintageKrug – Not sure that BA flies to many “Third World hell holes” any more – apart from Heathrow, of course!

GoonerLondon
    Participant

“Third World hellhole”?! Honestly, VK….

Hess963
    Participant

Typical full of prejudice–VK. Just keep up that habits and alienate the readers here—sensibility is not your virtue, apart from some others …..

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls