Who decides if my ticket is “deeply discounted” or not?

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• PUMA
    Participant

I recently booked and flew with my family on Malaysian Airlines from Phnom Penh via KL to Bali and back. But before I did, I used the BA exec club avios calculator to determine how many tier points and avios I would get from my flights. According to the calculator, each segment of the journey in economy would earn between 5 and 20 points and in business, between 40 and 60 points, depending on grade of economy or grade of business ticket.

When I booked all our tickets on the Malaysian air website, I had three choices of tickets: “economy lite”, “economy basic” and “economy flex”. which list the following features –

Economy Lite: Cabin Baggage 7kg; Check-in Baggage 10kg; Rebooking At a fee (fare difference applies); No free seat selection, No flexibility to board earlier on day of travel & Refund not available

• {content}
    • Economy Basic: Cabin Baggage 7kg; Check-in Baggage 20kg; Rebooking 1x Free change fee (fare difference applies); Refunds At a fee; Upgrade with Enrich Points; No free seat selection & No flexibility to board earlier on day of travel

{content}

Economy Flex: Cabin Baggage 7kg; Check-in Baggage 35kg; Free Standard Seat Selection (10% off extra legroom/emergency exit seats*); Flexibility to board earlier on day of travel (subject to availability); Rebooking Unlimited free change (fare difference applies); Refunds Without a fee; Upgrade with Enrich Points; Priority Check-in; Priority Boarding & Priority Baggage.[/li][/ul]

So on our outbound leg, I booked us all on economy basic tickets and for the return I booked us on economy flex, which I then bid for and got charged to upgrade to business.

However we never received any points or avios for any of the segments flown, forcing me to write to BA and make a claim to which I got these two responses:
      “On economy Malaysia Airlines fares only flights with a booked class of Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S or N earn Avios. Your flights were booked in O and Q classes, which are deeply discounted classes.”
      and
      “On business Malaysia Airline fares only flights with a booked class of J, C, D or Z earn Avios. Your flight was booked in I class, which is a deeply discounted class.”

So my question is how can I buy NOT the cheapest tickets on an airline: there was no special promo when I booked, nor was there a sale going on. I just picked the “middle” grade of ticket in one direction and the “highest” grade in another, and even our boarding passes list our class of travel as “Y” and yet, BA in their wisdom have determined that these tickets were “deeply discounted”? And how and where does one go when buying a ticket to decide the “booking class” until after the purchase?

I guess this question goes to both BA and Malaysian.

Paul

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Class of Travel and Ticket Booking class are different, Y Class of travel would apply to all fare classes listed above as Y B H K L M V S and O Q. When selecting a ticket price there is usually an indicator to show fare code/class. As a guide the cheapest fare codes would have limited benefits, e.g. Non changeable/non refundable/zero miles

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    To participate on our forum, please sign in. If you do not have an account, please register.
    The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
    The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
    Be up-to-date
    Magazine Subscription
    To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
    Polls