Which city shall I spend New Year’s Eve in?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks, SwisExPat. Just spent a week there in October… My new favourite restaurant in Dublin is http://boxtyhouse.ie/… But I shall try the ones you mentioned next time I’m there…

A bit too early to decide LOL but if I am not in bed here you will find me somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere or in North Africa.

BA4ever
    Participant

I agree with Edinburgh, Glasgow is also very nice and -of course- London.

lcpteck
    Participant

I’ll be in Shanghai.

FivestarFred
    Participant

I live in Sydney and can vouch for the sentiments expressed above.

Twice in the last four years, to break with the hype, I have done something in keeping with our hobby on this forum and spent NYE on a plane!

The first time was 31 Dec 2010 when I flew from Accra to Dubai on my way back to Sydvey. The flight left around 8pm and hour or so later we were wished happy new year! Emirates go by the destination time so it was already 1 Jan in Dubai. No song and dance just a brief mention.

Last year I did the same and this time it was on TG on their A380 from Frankfurt. No mention of the passing year until we landed in Bangkok.

This year I’m currently booked to fly again over new year on Qantas from Singapore to Sydney, having connected from Colombo and just connected before that from Doha! I would only have been in DOH for a one night stopover having come in from Brussels on a connection from London!

I rarely take the most direct route anywhere…a good chunk of my holiday is spent on the plane!

Hope 2015 brings new adventures and happy flying for all.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

If in Europe for only a day or 2 , then you can t go wrong with VIE.

I m half-Austrian and spending Weihnachten there as well…before I hit the slopes!

conshaldow
    Participant

Hi Swiss, if you can stretch to 3-5 days i’d suggest NYC. I’ve been for New Year and also late January/early Feb last year for the superbowl. The atmosphere around the city is always fantastic around this time of year.

If you are (un)lucky enough to get a bit of snowfall, it is a spectacular sight.

K1ngston
    Participant

This year I will be spending NYE in Singapore, where I understand there will be plenty to do and of course it will be warm!!!

Besides that the best place I have spent in the past is NYC when the clock strikes midnight on Times Sq is a great experience and the city is lit up beautifully. Wherever you spend the holiday season I personally wish you all a peaceful and prosperous 2015…..

MrMichael
    Participant

I will spending my New Year in my little corner of SouthWest London. You just cannot beat a bracing trip outside at midnight with a glass of champers to watch to the locals letting off their fireworks and Chinese lanterns, kids running around banging saucepan bottoms with wooden spoons..(God only knows where that tradition came from ) and then slipping back inside at five past midnight in front of my roaring fire for a glass of XO and a couple of MrsM’s excellent cheese straws.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls