Which Airline Has the Best Coffee? And Why?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m not a coffee drinker myself, drinking only tea, which I think is best served by Swiss in F as they use a small local suppliers tea – L’Art du The.

Mrs LP however, who is of Italian extract, and believes only Italians can make good proper coffee, with the appropriate coffee served at the right time of day, says its not just the coffee or the machine that counts, but the water as well.

She regards all airline coffee as dishwater and refuses to drink it!

EruditeSheep
    Participant

Some of the best mugs of coffee I have tasted on-board have been on NZ when using cafetieres. So much flavour. Unlike Hippocampus and others, I don’t subscribe to the trend in over-brewed espresso offered by “can’t be bothered” baristas, with the resulting wait to be served. I rue the day that it should become common-place on flights. Like RichHI1 I agree that Hawaiian coffee is amongst the best in the world and always try to stock up on several bags whenever opportunity arises in Honolulu.

skywards
    Participant

Etihad and Qatar for me do the best coffee…..Brit Air (AF) the worst…

David
    Participant

I agree, skywards. I had 4 sectors on Qatar Airways last week and enjoyed a wonderful cappuccino on each flight. Even the 45 minute flight DXB – DOH was enough time to serve a hot cup in nice porcelain (with refill!).

pointyendpreferred
    Participant

The standard in Qantas First Class is for ALL crockery to be warmed. Crockery is placed in a warmer prior to use. I used to be a Customer Service Manager (Onboard Manager) with QF so I know! Coffee/tea cups are often warmed using hot water.
    Australians are coffee snobs and QF pays great attention to the tea and coffee that is served in all classes.

NTarrant
    Participant

This whole subject is very subjective and it would be impossible to get a complete answer. Bean to cup coffee machines are only as good as the person who programed them to the strength and water temperature.

I avoid coffee in flight but prefer tea, BA tea is fine in all classes. AF tea is weak.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I am a particular fan of the Camomile & Honey from the London Herb and Tea Company; much better than the Twinings camomile they serve in F:

http://www.docsimon.co.uk/article/london-fruit-herb-camomile-and-honey-tea-20-bags

RichHI1
    Participant

Wish they had good Green Tea like some Asian carriers. I am allergic to the black stuff (Tea not GUiness ). There are times when works better than coffee.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Best in F LX, LH and QF. In C OS (probably best overall) LH, LX, QF and CX.

I wouldn’t rate SQ, EK or BA at all. On SQ I always choose chocolate at the end of a meal which is very good. Chocolate is also exceptional on OS. I don’t drink tea.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

oohh i never thought of having a hot choc :)…i prefer tea to coffee bit when i do I crave starbucks mocha!! why cant airlines serve there stuff??

RichHI1
    Participant

AA made a big play of serving Starbucks coffee – still tasted like cr*p.

robsmith100
    Participant

was it real bad?

LeTigre
    Participant

I really do think that the cup used makes so much difference to taste. It seems those awful clear plastic cups used in every economy cabin are especially designed to make hot drinks undrinkable.

Perhaps the plastic melts into the water…mmm…Starbucks with a dash of petrochemicals!

EruditeSheep
    Participant

When UA first offered Starbucks on flights, it was undrinkable. I think they must have subsequently changed the blend because it became much more bearable – at least in C or F class, where the coffee was served in chinaware cups.

NNoah16
    Participant

Emirates First “Cafeterie” Coffee is the best followed by British Airways Cappucino in First. Every thing else is mud. Lyons coffee bags are excellent, I always take with me to drink on all other flights.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls