Where in Asia to hold a 50th birthday party?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I am based in HKG. Next year, I want to host a 50th birthday party (not for me!). It needs to be easily accessible from HKG for a weekend, also accessible for friends/family from England, have decent weather in March/Easter, and have some fun things we can do as part of the celebrations. And it can’t be Bangkok (because we had my 40th there) or Siem Reap (because a friend had his 50th there) and I need to do something different. So suggestions, please, for a city to visit, any fun things to do, hotels to stay in, restaurants etc.

Thank you all – I am sure you will come up with some marvellous suggestions!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi again, Ian

If I was to hold my 50th birthday ( sadly it has gone) in Asia, I would either go to KL and do something at the Colliseum Cafe (probably not the dinner itself) -the place was a favourite of my late father’s, and opened in the year of his birth – 1921. Great atmosphere and reasonably ok food.

Or I’d go out to the Hilton at Batang Ai in Sarawak on Borneo and do the whole thing there. A great hotel (not luxurious but good, fun, great staff) and affordable.

Just some ideas for a kick off.

Have a good one, Ian, wherever you choose.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

PS I meant by all means have A dinner at the Colliseum, but perhaps not THE dinner! Sizzling steaks with Lea & Perrins are exceptional!

S

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I had mine in the Peninsula in BKK, amazing and could not be faulted. Even the most jaded travellers were impressed.

samanthah
    Participant

I would say Singapore purely because it’s a country in itself and it’s reasonably easy to get around seeing as it’s a small island. Although HKG is similar to Singapore to some extent (a lot of expats, metropolitan) so it may not seem like much of a holiday. If you opt to go there, I found great short-term apartments at Wimdu’s site. They have other holiday rentals in other locations in Asia, if that’s any help to you.

I had a great time during my holiday in Malaysia. I was based in KL for most of the time and had a blast. It should be reasonably accessible to get there from HKG or England. Borneo and the East cost of the mainland is really nice around that time of year with beautiful beaches etc.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Indeed, LPPSK – but as that is where I had my 40th, I really can’t use it!!

Senator
    Participant

Depending on how adventurous your lot is, there are a couple of places high on my list of places that look like excellent spots for both excellent experience and great dining:

The Four Seasons Golden Triangle Thailand
    http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentriangle/

The Four Seasons in Sayan, Bali
    http://www.fourseasons.com/sayan/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls