When will ANA Run 787 to London

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’m thinking of a leisure trip to Japan. Never been before. Probably next Spring to see friends stationed there, for the Blossoms (I’m told by colleagues this is the best time to go) and as a vote of confidence in a country which has suffered considerably in recent months.

May as well try and get aboard the 787. When will it start on the London route, and will it have F, or just J?

Hotel suggestions?

Bucksnet
    Participant

VK, the 787 is far too small for any airline to consider it on the London-Tokyo route!

Their first 787s will be for Japanese internal domestic use, and even these have proper business class seats, in a shell with a recline, but not fully flat. BA can’t even offer anything close on short haul international, and should take note.

RichHI1
    Participant

What I have seen is 2 class (both for long haul and short haul confgs.) So you might see on a LHR -HND routing some day but unlikely LHR-NRT.
    Ana 787 website http://www.ana.co.jp/promotion/b787/en/
    Seat Maps http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/ANA/seatplans/B787-Dreamliner
    Have fun…

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet 787-8 maxes out at 8,200 nm so I think you could see it at Haneda on Long Haul or some routes to Europe where first class does not sell well. Not seen layout of other carriers but a 3 class layout is possible as per UAL’s 3 class 763’s.
    I think first flights are international Asian routes may be HKG.
    By the way, Kudos to you VK for taking steps to show solidarity with our Japanese friends. I am extending my Christmas vacation to spend a week in Tokyo on the way back in January (Shochu tastes so good when it is freezing outside)
    Have a great trip. Cherry Blossom is awesome.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hmm. Maybe I’ll try Virgin out, and BA back.

Bucksnet, though this has been oft-outlined here, BA does indeed offer something far more substantial on longer sectors; both Tel Aviv and Cairo offer the full flat bed product, Moscow will shortly do so (it has not done so for too long) and that really leaves Larnaca and possibly Athens which doesn’t really warrant a longhaul product.

Slap in WiFi for business customers and iPads for leisure customers, and CE works just fine on these sub-three hour routes, especially when compared to the competition.

Looking fwd to Japan.

RichHI1
    Participant

I am doing JAL ORD-NRT and NRT-LHR. Unfortunately they do not have the new suites on the London route but the food and service if you are a Nipponophile like me are out of this world. (Shame all the 744’s have gone but the 773’s are OK)

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, I know the range but the 787 is simply too small for London; maybe some thinner routes.

VK, as has been oft-outlined here CE is a joke. The ANA product puts it to shame and is for domestic routes, although will probably be used on regional flights as well. This a short haul business product, not long haul.

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet I think we agree on LHR-NRT but I would not be surprised when the economy picks up to see a LHR – HND or MAN – NRT/HND using a 788.

Bucksnet
    Participant

All London airports to all Tokyo airports, Rich.

The market is too large and slots scarce at both ends. MAN is a possibility one day I suppose, but to NRT. HND slots are rarer than LHR, at least for international flights.

I think all airlines on the route will be looking to use an A380 as soon as possible.

RichHI1
    Participant

I was not aware ANA or JAL had any a380’s on order or intent to use them, do you have soem info?

Not sure about HND route, all I know is the political campaign to ramp up HND as an international hub is gathering steam.
    Then again we have KIX and NGO which are building up international flights.
    Then again we also have the new dynamic of low cost carriers in Asia starting up.
    I take your views and will watch this space with interest.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I meant they would prefer to use larger planes and not smaller planes.

KIX and NGO need more international flights and the 787 is perfect.

RichHI1
    Participant

Hope you are right and they buy the 748’s. I know Korean have ordered some along with Lufthansa. That would be fantastic.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls