When best to get flights with miles

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

All, I shall soon work from Hong Kong and my wife will go back and forth. Have plenty of star alliance miles for multiple business class flights with BMI being the card holder. First dates I am trying for is May 1 UK – Hkg, every week I call and only economy has been available so far. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge of when in advance carriers release more business seats to miles programmes. Many thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

Most carriers have this available online even for partners flights.

For such regular commuting, you would find it a valuable investment to sign up for a subscription to http://www.expertflyer.com which will give you visibility of availability and email you when that availability comes online, and avoid lengthy conversations with phone agents.

It also allows you to play around with more creative routings which the phone agent might not have the time or the knowledge to pursure on your behalf.

I would suggest you explore routings via Frankfurt on Lufthansa or Swiss via Zurich as being much more likley to yield positive results for business class flights.

olliewb
    Participant

VK does the visibility of availability from ExpertFlyer (as mentioned above) work on all airlines/ all major airlines?

Very useful tip!
    Thanks

Travellator
    Participant

Suggest if you will fly frequently you start with a one way then buy any other flights originating in HKG. You can check prices at this online paper about page 30/31 http://paper.thestandard.com.hk/

Also you pay less APD and because the HK Dollar is linked to the USD and Sterling is getting better you could save a few quid !

craigwatson
    Participant

not going to pay less APD as that is paid only when departing UK, and you will still pay that even with a redemption ticket as you still pay the taxes, and the one way fares are still about 75% of a return so…. not good value for money

Travellator
    Participant

I meant to buy the rest of the flights in HKG routing HKG/LHR/HKG so no tax!

Shopping around should still get a good one way price even if it is with Asia X to begin with.

VintageKrug
    Participant

You still pay the tax on the ticket for the LHR-HKG sector, so there’s no APD saving purchasing in HKG.

Travellator
    Participant

My mistake ! Slap wrists ! However buying return from HKG can still be worthwhile ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

It may be advantageous to purchase exHKG, quite right, But it’s not a route with which I am very familar, so best left to the experts who fly this route regularly (like the BT Editor!).

Travellator
    Participant

I do it 2+ a year – not enough to warrant buying the other way round so to speak but I imagine loads of ex pats do it.

This thread stared as miles redemptions, managed to bag 2 seats LHR/HKG/LHR in F yesterday using miles + AMEX in March – prime time due to Hong Kong sevens – hope at least one of the legs will be in new F.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls