What is a suitable allowance for premium travel to Asia?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I have been in discussions with a prospective client this week to run training courses in Asia later this year. Their proposal was that they would take care of the airfare but it would be an economy ticket with Malaysian Airlines. I haven’t flown economy long haul for over 20 years and I am not about to start now so I told them that I would prefer to receive a fixed allowance to cover airfares but I would be free to choose whatever airline I wanted.

According to Malaysian Airlines, their round trip fully flex economy ticket is about £1300 or $2000. I have very little experience of travelling to Asia but I have noticed a number of sales reported. I would be grateful if someone could give me an idea of what kind of allowance that I should ask for that would allow me to find a cheap business class fare to Asia.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If you are willing to depart ex-Europe, it should not cost a lot more than currently being offered..

SGJNI1961
    Participant

I see Qatar are still offering BKK from AMS in business for just under £800.

stevescoots
    Participant

I travel to Asia from UK once a month, you would need £2000 for a reliable allowance, one that does not have you spending hours looking for deals, or using a carrier such as egyptair. below 1800 and you risk not getting a business class seat

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi BathVIP

The full fare Y Class seat on MH to KUL is £2075. There are cheaper Flex fares – but this is the full Y.

This would get you an O Class Business Class fare with Emirates for example to KL if available. Other options are looking at BA Premium and booking a package fare with accommodation in Premium if doable (or covering a Saturday night – might be able to get one way Business / One Way Premium) – but wouldn’t be upgradeable with Avios. Depends on dates as BA start this route soon. But stevecoots is right – you’d need £2000-2200 minimum to cover a Business Class seat to KL and hope dates have good availability in the lower inventories in Business Class. Or of course if you want to play the game of starting in Europe – you may get a much better value BA fare in J Class.

Hope that helps.

Swissdiver
    Participant

This problem is unfortunately becoming more and more important. While I tend to give in for medium haul flights, accepting premium eco, for long haul I keep insisting… And asking for an allowance is a solution. But it is increasing the financial exposure. Sadly a decent name does not always offer safety (The main problem I had was with a well known company in Malaysia that suddenly told me they were facing a cash squeeze, that interestingly suddenly improved upon the reception of a well known lawyer’s letter…).

GBP 2000 seems to be the right number provided you are keen to fly Turkish or one of the Gulfies.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

@Bath_VIP If you’re going to be travelling to Asia regularly, consider buying your tickets from there. Very often ex-Asia fares to the UK are much lower than their ex-UK equivalents. You don’t have to go very far to do your research – just look them up on Expedia or such. You’ll need to organise a one-way ticket the first time around (miles?) and from then on just buy normal return tickets.

JeanKL71
    Participant

I do Asian destinations from PAR often with Finnair. Good connections via their HEL hub. depending on where you’re going this could be an option too. 2000-2200GBP max should get you to several Asian cities with Finnair on business.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

+1 on Finnair here, as well. £1650 return to Xi’an from London, biz class, via Helsinki. That’s what my ticket (travelling in September) cost.

Good service, flat beds, nice food, slightly limited wine list, reasonable IFE, superb value.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I am currently in The Far East You can get a KLM fare for around £1,300 booked 3 months in advance, Business class from AMS. Most continents are offered at this rate at the moment. Etihad from France also have excellent premioum product offers for the allowance you are being offered. Can you build in a few days flexibility each side to make upo for having to travel economy?

In SE Asia, Bangkok remains the cheapest gateway to enter, or go for a premium economy fare, which would be well within your allowance.

Similar in travel needs, i go Business class with restricted tickets and add on a dew days break at the end leaving me flexibility. Often these tickets will accept £2-500 to change your seat back.

BE VERY CAREFUL with Malaysian Airlines. Local newspapers a couple of days ago, indicate strongly that MH will withdraw almost ALL European routes, and concentrate on being a regional carrier. The Only routes quoted by the CEO in this article was to keep London and Australia, but nothing is decided yet.
    So booking MH at the moment until we know of the Company re-structure and renaming, routing, and a large % of the workforce to be made redundant.

I would clearly communicate this to you prospective clients, perhaps a Premium economy or a budget and steer clear of MH. they must know this…? It iw ell known here and in the press often.

You will need KLM.com but Netherlands site in English to book.
    Cityjet from LCY, or KLM from LHR will for £99 return link you to that flight, SIN, BKK, KUL and many destinations well covered by KLM.

Also enrol in a FFP as with a few trips or Business class you will earn a good status and a trip in Europe for a break sometime at least also. Skyteam is pretty reasonable in that regard, and KLM have strong and many rourts into Asia.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Bath_VIP
    I’m not an expert on Biz travel to Asia I’m afraid , since I only travel there on leisure/visiting friends etc. What you haven’t mentioned is where you’re actually going ?
    I get my regular e-mail from the excellent CX offering me great deals to a plethora of SE Asian destinations.. What I’ve noticed is that their non HKG destinations are routinely cheaper than just flying to HK. So I suspect that MH would be cheaper if your final destination isn’t KL ?

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your comments, very helpful as always. It looks like the consensus is for £2000 so I will bear that in mind for the future.

The destination this time was KL but for now I won’t be going. However, the client is likely to come back again at some point so I will be prepared then.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls