What do you say?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• CheerUp
    Participant

Probably (Hopefully in my opinion) won’t be too long until BA/legacy carriers introduce a policy similar to that of EasyJet/ Ryanair, whereby you have to add the second piece of hand luaggage to go in the overhead bins – for short haul flights.

At gate, travellers without the purchased second bag should have their bagagge tagged (yellow tags as they do now) to go under seat infront, creating a surplus in overhead locker space.
    Of course would need to be managed at the gate/onboard initally, but after time should slowly trickle into travellers peripheral.

J travellers, plus BA (OneWorld equivalent) Bronze upwards, entitled to two pieces.

Too long has this gone on, and traveller’s ‘hand luggage’ increasing more and more.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I also would not agree to my hand baggage being taken out of the overhead bin. I also don’t agree with charging for all hand luggage, it just needs to be enforced at the gate.
    I also think it’s partly the airlines fault, as checking in a bag usually mean paying extra. Why not just allow 1 free checked bag (more for Business / Status) and that will likely reduce the problem significantly.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[quote quote=1241385]Why not just allow 1 free checked bag (more for Business / Status) and that will likely reduce the problem significantly.[/quote]

I am sure that will help in some situations but I am a regular on the Accra-London flight and it is full of people with excess hand luggage, despite being entitled to 2 x 23kg of free check in bags. This may partly be because they are using every possible kilo of allowance, but may also be because it usually takes at least an hour to wait for baggage to materlialise on the belt. And my experience at the Heathrow end is that it can take even longer.

On balance, I would simple go with 1 carry on per passenger (2 in business) with properly enforced size/weight limits. Pretty much what Easyjet do.

FDOS
    Participant

Thanks everyone who has commented thus far. The different responses are really interesting.

Another question – the locos manage cabin baggage efficiently, why not the ‘full service’ carriers?

BTW, it is not obvious which forum I posted this in, for the avoidance of doubt, the carrier was Lufthansa.

PatJordan
    Participant

Am I correct in saying that the bins above Row 1 are reserved because no items can be placed on the floor at Row 1 (or indeed any exit row).

Therefore, if a pax is seated in Row 1, irrespective of what fare was paid, then that pax is obliged to stow their baggage in overhead bins.

And consequently, if for whatever reason pax from other rows trespass on the Row 1 stowage space, the offending baggage should be removed.

Admittedly enforcing this could well be challenging for Cabin Crew, but if the Captain were to emerge from the flight deck, a few words from he/she with the ultimate authority on the Aircraft should bring about a swift deflation of the most bloated ego!!

Safe travels everybody,

Pat

3 users thanked author for this post.

Fergus R
    Participant

Crews are in difficult situations sometimes, with some poor aircraft layouts not helping.

Two recent flights, different ways to hand business cabin bags:

One: Aegean – Airbus 320 – 5 rows of business, in 2A and 2C, mega boarding scrum (in Geneva of all places), there is no crew locker between galley and row 1, just a thin panel; consequently overheads above rows 1 and 2 chockers with various aircraft supplies and equipment. Row 1 has to put everything up, so they were stowing their stuff starting at row 3. Many business bags (including ours) ended up several rows into economy, really hard to fight against the tide for retrieval on landing. The layout of the Aegean aircraft was tight and mean, absolutely no room in the galley, so equipment and supplies distributed in the business bins. And no control of who was stuffing their bag there.

Two: Austrian Air Airbus A321 – two rows of business, again in 2A & 2C. Boarding scrum in Athens that boarded a lot of people before business, however on boarding find business lockers closed, and FA parked between row 2 and 3 keeping a sharp eye on the business overheads. Austrian have a full length locker of sorts between the galley and row one that contains a lot of aircraft supplies, so none of these above business, we were very happy we could install our bags above our seats.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Fergus R, too right about crews. I am always sorry for them (how a few people talk to them) and that’s why I always do what they ask. I have a lot of respect for cabin crew.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Out of interest, why cant crew overnight bags be stored in the same hold that stores for example pushchairs, which come out first, on arrival?

Just a question…

4 users thanked author for this post.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Reminds of being in the first row of Y on a LX A320 a few years back.

I was in probably row 4 immediately behind the curtain. This curtain straddled the overhead locker immediately above my seat so some (say 50%) of the locker was in business and 50% in Y. I went to place my bag in the locker area immeriately over my seat and was pounced upon immediately by a cabin crew member telling me that it was reserved for business!!

There ensued a long argument (me saying that I was entitled to use the overhead locke above my seat and that this locker area was in Y) eventually the matter ended when the doors closed and the business cabin was almost empty with the overhead bins being largely empty!.

Nick Pike
    Participant

I would say no, explaining why and do so very politely. It’s never sensible to be abrupt (or worse) in those circumstances. If the family of four can’t fit all their luggage in some of it will have to go in the hold.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls