What are you reading?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I treated myself to a Kindle today in the hope I will start reading more. Made me think what are people currently reading when they go travelling to pass the time and if you any reccomendations to share for both fiction and non fiction books. Lots of my friends are currently reading Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Cant believe that Andre Agassi hated tennis so much

“Open”

watersz
    Participant

For fliers everywhere try

Flying through midnight ….
    John T Halliday

TominScotland
    Participant

Becky, my favourite reading picture of the summer (and I wish I’d been awake enough to snap it) was in T4 departures recently where the Irish junior ladies volleyball team were assembling for a flight. Eight of the girls gathered for a photo, each with their copy of Fifty Shades of Grey. From what I am led to believe, I’m sure that their training sessions will have changed dramatically as a consequence!!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Waiting for it 2 b delivered. Not fussed, novels and bios i guess? Am on hols 4 rest of the week, laters :O)

NTarrant
    Participant

If the dead rise not by Philip Kerr.

That 40 shades of grey is a bit mucky according to my PA who is on book 2

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have the Kindle on my iPad and iPhone, though Mrs. LP has her own standalone Kindle.

My reading at the moment is:
    value Investing and Security Analysis, both by Benjamin Graham (Heavy, 1,100+ pages between them!)
    Ghost Train to the eastern Star by Paul Theroux
    Bradshaw’s Railway Handbook
    The Wonga Coup
    Cry Havoc
    This Time is Different

A bit of an eclectic mix!!!

Happy Hols Becky, we all depart for S. Africa next week.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’n not reading this right now, but once you’ve finished Shades of Grey, you might enjoy Under The Skin:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Skin-Michel-Faber/dp/1847678920

—-
    Isserley always drove straight past a hitch-hiker when she first saw him, to give herself time to size him up. She was looking for big muscles: a hunk on legs. Puny, scrawny specimens were no use to her.
    —-

“So begins Michel Faber’s first novel: a lone female scouts the Scottish Highlands in search of well-proportioned men and the reader is given to expect the unfolding of some latter-day psychosexual drama. But commonplace expectation is no guide for this strange and deeply unsettling book; small details at first, then more major clues, suggest that something deeply bizarre is afoot.

What are the reason’s for Isserley’s extensive surgical scarring, her thick glasses (which are just glass), her excruciating backache? Who are the solitary few who work on the farm where her cottage is located? And why are they all nervous about the arrival of someone called Amlis Vess?”

MarkCymru
    Participant

David Downing’s Sealing Their Fate, 22 Days That Decided the Second World War. It’s a day-by-day account of November and December 1941 in the Pacific, Russia and North Africa. It’s fascinating. (By the way, he has written an excellent series about a British reporter and his German girlfriend in Berlin from 1939 to 1946 — it starts with Zoo Station. On the same theme, I endorse NTarrant’s recommendation of Philip Kerr and his Bernie Gunther series)

If you want to get away from WWII, try Matt Beynon Rees’s series about the Palestinian amateur detective, Omar Yussuf. Grave in Gaza might be the best

For something a bit puzzling but fascinating, try the James Church series about Inspector O, a North Korean police inspector. Hidden Moon starts with a bank robbery in Pyongyang. “But we don’t have any banks in North Korea” says the Inspector. “Exactly, that’s why you have to come now,” says his boss.

Finally, do what J D Salinger did (and I try to do) and every night read a little bit of Karl Barth’s Paul’s Epistle to the Romans. It puts business travel into context

VintageKrug
    Participant

I haven’t sat down and read the Bible for ages; since it’s in most hotel rooms there’s really no excuse not to dip in and out of it when short of something to read.

However, the problem these days is more infomration overload, with various media completing for one’s attentions; I tend to use holidays to catch up on the many interesting feature articles and magazines I never normally have time to read….

lloydah
    Participant

I want a proper book in my hand. Don’t think I want a kindle.
    Dark Matter by Michelle Paver if you like expeditions to the Arctic, 24hour nights and seriously thought provoking spine chillers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls