Well, we are now well into our round the world trip.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 121 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=871362]I have just now read the comments of ‘GoDownSouth’ and ‘ChrisophL’

It had not occurred to me that my posts might be annoying people.[/quote]

Not true they’re annoying people, I am sure, Charles!

I’ve enjoyed your posts. Please keep posting and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

capetonianm
    Participant

Charles-P

I have enjoyed reading about your travels, and please carry on posting. Condolences on the loss of your brother.

We may not all be able to travel the way you do, and luxury hotels, particularly in places like Dubai, are far from appealing to me, but I am interested in reading about other life and travel styles.

Sadly, jealousy is not a nice emotion.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I am thinking maybe Melania got the jacket because she just read this.

Edski777
    Participant

Charles-P, welcome back to the forum and happy travel. Sorry about your loss, but keep the, no doubt, wonderful memories of your brother.
    These memories will be extended by the wonderful trip you are making right now. Enjoy!
    And about being jealous? Yes, a bit, but no hard feelings. You have just started to extend my bucket list. So much more to do, such beautiful places to visit and so little time. Life is too short, as you experienced.

Please keep posting your trip reports. It’s a pleasure to read them.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A bit late Charles, but may I also echo the other posters in expressing my condolences for your loss and my delight you’re back among us. Did you ever really leave? 😉

Your trip seems amazing, and something I also want to do.

I’ve been planning a RTW with miles for sometime now but time seems to allude me, however what I would love to do is round the world in the PC12. It’s been a dream of mine for years now, as well as a trip down to South Africa via the West coast and back via the East Coast but in a DC-3.

I’m very pleased you are able to realise your dreams and I’m looking forward to reading the next chapter in your epic journey.

Bon Voyage.

Charles-P
    Participant

Afternoon tea here in Delhi with a view of the magnificent gardens at the Imperial Hotel. The hotel is quite simply superb, it bills itself as, “Asia’s Finest 5 star Luxury Hotel” which is quite a claim to make but I now agree. We chose a ‘Heritage’ room which is tastefully decorated and quiet. Ours has the optional garden view which I would strongly recommend for anyone staying here. Built in the 1930s just before Indian independence it has the grander and elegance expected of that period with of course a close association with the British Raj style.

On Sunday we visited the famous Red Fort a former home of various Mughal emperors. Built in 1638 the magnificent building also provides an area of quiet from the busy city outside. There was also an excellent evening light show that illustrates India’s history. Earlier today we undertook a private guided tour of Chandni Chowk the famous street market, loud vibrant and exciting. Using a guide as excellent for this trip as he knew just where to take us and ensured we could try some food at a number of shops and stalls.

Dinner this evening is at The Hong Kong Club based on a recommendation from a forum member (I’m ashamed to say I have forgotten which one of you – sorry about that)

More soon to come

Charles. (eating a cake and drinking tea)

Charles-P
    Participant

‘LuganoPirate’ – thank you for the kind words.

We did start the trip in our Pilatus and we enjoyed flying in Croatia most of all, very friendly and helpful people who were really interested in what we were doing. As my wife is not a pilot and it would be just the two of us most of the time on this trip we decided to go with commercial aviation for the most of it however at the latter end of the holiday when we are back in Europe I intend to fly from our base in France up to Scandinavia for the Norwegian and Swedish legs of the adventure together with my son. From Sweden we are planing to cross the North Sea to Scotland before returning home to France / Belgium.

Of course as the picture here below illustrates I could just drive it on the road 🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have wonderful memories of the three weeks I spent at the Imperial in New Delhi at the expense of my ex-employer.

I made time to do all the touristy things as well and enjoyed many splendid dinners in the very fine Spice Route restaurant.

Please give the place my love and best wishes!

Charles-P
    Participant

‘capetonianm’ we are having a glass of something cold and refreshing in your honour 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Ha ha Charles, yes I know that road well and just the other day had to stop at those very lights as a Swiss military Pilatus went past.
    Great photo though and thanks for attaching it.

Charles-P
    Participant

In Sweden there is a network of roads which are allocated for flight operations in the event of war. The Swiss have similar set ups.

Charles-P
    Participant

Restaurant review – The Hong Kong Club Delhi

We dined this evening at the Hong Kong Club, excellent Chinese food, go for the ground floor if possible, much better atmosphere, fire lamps at the door give a great welcome. Excellent cocktails (based on ones Chinese zodiac sign !) and dim sum, good music and general ‘cool’ vibe (as the young people say).

Highly recommended for those visiting Delhi.

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi Charles-P, deepest condolences on your sad loss.

My Mother passed away recently and arranging the funeral, the legal matters and the emotional aftermath certainly take their toll. rock MrsJ was myOne bright spot during this time was a very pleasant two night stay in St.Ermin’s Autograph hotel in London (courtesy of Seatplans.com) where we had a reunion with a cousin with whom we had lost touch: our reminiscences were equal parts laughter and tears but very memorable.

I am glad to see you enjoying your trip, Charles-P. Your reports are very enjoyable, and I look forward to reading further installments of your travels. over the next month or two I hope to resume my own travels and add a few words to the forum.

Safe travels to all.

Pat

Charles-P
    Participant

A lifelong ambition achieved yesterday with a trip to the Taj Mahal.

Again taking the advice of a BT forum contributor (thank you) we went for the fast train private tour which left from Delhi’s Nizamuddin Station we were met on the train by our allocated steward who led us to our cabin and arranged breakfast. The train is a very relaxed way to travel to the site and much less stressful than driving. At arrival we were met by our guide who drove us to the site and arranged entrance by a private gate to avoid the crowds. We have all of course seen pictures but the building is simply stunning when seen for real. The marble has a curious luminous quality that catches the sun’s rays and reflects multiple colours back. We had a short monsoon rainstorm which was very welcome in reducing the temperatures and keeping the dust down. I suggest a visit needs at least four hours to see the entire site. It’s worth noting that because of work done by the Indian authorities overthe past few years the entire Taj Mahal site is now fully wheelchair accessible.

Later as part of the tour we visited the “Baby Taj” of the Etimadud -Daulah and watched the sunset over the Taj Mahal from the Mehtab Bagh. After the tour finished board the train back to Delhi where we were served dinner on the return journey. A truly magical day to a building that is perhaps the greatest testimony to the love of one man to his wife.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Charles-P
    Participant

Interesting observation – while the Europeans and Americans we have met here in India are careful to use the new names for cities the locals nearly all use the old Imperial names such as Bombay, Madras and Poona. I mentioned this to the hotel manager just now and he said there was very much a relaxed attitude to the subject with most Indians not that bothered by which name is used.

Off now on a rented Royal Enfield for a blast through the local countryside.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 121 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls