Waterloo – LHR Express?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

Bucksnet @ 18.53
    You still have the problem of lack of train paths. This is acute during the rush hour periods. The problem would be alleviated by solving the problems of the level crossings. This is something long promised but never done.However, bridges or underpasses will have to be built eventually.

Bucksnet
    Participant

If there are less trains going via Richmond and more via the Hounslow loop, then there would be more train paths not less.

Anyway, the line should be closed, the tracks taken up and then you could dig down and lower the line; no level crossings would be needed. Expensive, but the only real solution.

transtraxman
    Participant

As far as I understand the proposed 2tph through Hounslow were all that were possible for the train paths available. You really need the route through Richmond to make any investment viable (in the Staines chord and line into T5).

I agree with you about solving the problem of the level crossings. In that case I would start with the Hounslow loop. At Barnes and (near) Isleworth lowering the track is an option with the road partially elevated.

On the Richmond loop between Barnes and Mortlake there are three level crossings with the last next to Mortlake station – a bridge here would be essential. While the next one is next to North Sheen station making another bridge necessary.

The last level crossing before Staines is right next to Feltham station. The only solution here is a bridge to be build without interrupting the operations on the line. The downside to all these bridges is that they would be grossly disruptive and a sightsore to local residents. So there is no easy solution, but as I said before they are works which will have to carried out some day.

Bucksnet
    Participant

As I’ve said the route through Staines is not the way to do it, and if you lower the tracks you do not need to build bridges.

transtraxman
    Participant

What do you do then – lower the stations?

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

London and the UK deserve a better transport infrastructure. At Heathrow, a third runway would go a long way to aleviate congestion problems and limit the chaos that any weather adverse conditions create.

Better train connections to LHR would be good too. BUT local communities must not be forgotten. The situation with level crossings is only getting worse. Better signalling, shorter barrier downtime or tunnel replacement should be prioritised. Egham is entirely reliant on Network Rail and it’s a shame that other authorities concerned just ignore the situation (or even worse they are actually making it worse). Hours and hours are being lost, pollution added and lives risked because Network Rail is so complacent with its level crossings.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls