Was I right to book another carrier after Ryanair cancelled?Back to Forum
On 1st March (during snow storms in UK and Ireland), Ryanair cancelled my flight (DUB to NCL) due to snow. There was a red weather warning as I was stuck in Dublin, perfectly understandable.
I received the message overnight before the flight, and talked to their web chat team to rebook.
They could not rebook until next available flight until 5th March (and as I had a flight out of NCL to Sweden I decided to explore other options).
I found flights on Aer Lingus (DUB to NCL) for 3rd March, and so proceeded to book after another web chat with Ryanair. They told me to book from an approved list of carriers and reclaim.
Now, Ryanair have not addressed my expenses claim properly (both hotel expenses and new flight costs) and are no longer communicating with me about this.
Is my understanding correct, the regulations allow me to re-book with an alternative airline where there is a clear case to do so?
Thanks!11 Apr 2018
Have you got a record of the web chats with Ryanair?
This FAQ on Ryanair’s website is clear, see ‘Options for Reroute’.
Hotel accommodation and meals, etc, should be borne by Ryanair under EC261/2004 rules.
As this was a weather event, there will be no compensation due (I note you do not mention this).12 Apr 2018
I have some screenshots (not all of them, because it’s impossible to export the transcript on Iphone on Ryanair live chat!, and the cynical side of me suggests this is why!)
I am only pursuing the costs incurred, I know that it’s not possible to claim compensation.
In any case, it was cheaper to book new flights with Aer Linus, rather than wait for next Ryanair flight (and incur 2 more hotel stays, car hire, meals).
I have contacted AirlineADR (alternative dispute service recognised by RY).
I read somewhere that Ryanair insist (within their T&Cs) on Irish legal process.12 Apr 2018