WARNING – Dollar Thrifty car hire

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

JeffD
    Participant

I want to warn people of the risk of booking car hire through a third party. I booked a car for collection at Munich Airport through ecomomy car rentals. The process all seemed very profession and straight forward.

On arrival at the Dollar Thrifty desk I was met by a customer service agent who clearly was not enjoying her day. She could not find my booking in the system and according to the agent the main office was closed. So basically I had lost my deposit and still had no hire car. She attempted to make a new booking. This was more expensive and required a 1000 euro deposit. She managed to blocked 3 of my credit cards in the process.

I did eventually hire a car through another company and used my credit card which she claimed was declined !!!!

The morale here is dont be fooled into using a price comparison website, so straight to the company for a much better service.

I will never use either that price comparison website for Dollar Thrifty again.

Ahmad
    Participant

Couldn’t agree with you more Jeffery, after having several bad experiences I now avoid these websites like the plague. I always book the pay at the counter rates to avoid complications even if it means paying extra.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@ JefferyDavison, whenever I use a third party booking agent for car hire, I always receive an email confirmation with a booking number / reference details relevant to the hiring company in question.

Was it necessary to take a voucher to Dollar Thrifty and why did you not try calling the price comparison company.. Are you willing to name them…?

JeffD
    Participant

MartynSinclair, thanks for your comments. Yes I did print off the evoucher, the agent at the desk still would not accept this as her system did not reflect the booking. The company concerned was “Economy car rentals”. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone to them yesterday to be called a liar 3 times during the conversation. They were insisting that the booking was in order. I must have gone to the wrong desk etc.

I can only say never ever use this company.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls