Visiting Disneyworld during Covid. Would you?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Daniel9
    Participant

I host a whisky podcast that often has travel related guests.
    (We’ve even had Tom Otley himself http://www.unitedstatesofdramerica.us/TomOtley).
    A recent guest, a travel blogger, talked about his trip to Disneyworld, just as Coronavirus was spiking.(http://www.unitedstatesofdramerica.us/Mattthetravelwriter/)
    He said he found the whole thing remarkably safe and would recommend it (even if he wasn’t on a sponsored trip).
    I told him I wouldn’t take the risk.
    Would you?

Inquisitive
    Participant

Lure of free things attracts many people to do funny thing. So the said blogger went to Disneyland as it was free (sponsored).

Otherwise only brave/foolhardy and mad people will go to Disneyland now. I am not and will not.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I went about 20 years ago when my boys were 9 & 7. But I wouldn’t go back again, COVID notwithstanding and even if it were free. I still can’t get ‘It’s A Small World’ out of my brain!

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

No – Why take the risk when there so many other safe interesting outdoor activities that don’t involve mingling closely with several thousand others.
    I just went for a half hour early morning jog around my local cricket club field across the road. I encountered 2 security guards, a chap walking his poodle puppy several dozen assorted birds two cats and a largeish frog -heaven. This and I live in the center of Hong Kong 300 meters from Nathan Road. I’m going fishing tomorrow.

PatJordan
    Participant

A very interesting topic. Mrs j & I love visiting Orlando, and way back in May we booked flights DUB-MCO departing on October 31st. At that time we never expected Covid-19 restrictions to last so long.

As of now, the USA doesn’t allow visitors from Ireland. There does not appear to be any likelihood of this changing in the foreseeable future.

Added to the continuing infection rates reported in Florida, and indeed the advice of the Irish Government to avoid foreign travel, I don’t expect to travel anywhere outside Ireland this side of 2021.

As much as Mrs J & I enjoy our trips to Orlando, we have to accept that it won’t happen this year. Once normality returns, all the lovely spots we love to visit will still be there ready and waiting.

Stay safe everybody.

Swissdiver
    Participant

It is indeed a small world after all, David 🙂

I never really grew up (Peter Pan syndrome? :-)) and still love these parks although admittedly my last visit was probably 15 years ago when my boys were still children. Would I go back now? Certainly not as it is impossible to sanitise every seat between two clients… But I will one day, may-be when I’ll be a granddad…

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Yes.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

No!

TominScotland
    Participant

I’m with DaveSmith2 and CWoodward – No and, anyway, why would you want to? Too many beautiful places on my doorstep, both free and safe!!

K1ngston
    Participant

Would I go …… No but not the the reasons you may think, having done it about 6 times with the kids when younger, and of course in Singapore we have the Theme park so done that a number of times also… so no as I dont think I could take it purely as I have been there and done that! Yes on the otherhand when I become a Grandfather and to see the delight on the young childrens face is definitely something to behold and of course as a Grandparent you can pretend the virtigo is playing up and sit and watch all the fun, something I could never get away with in years gone by …….

toonfan62
    Participant

I live in Orlando and have visited MK, HS and AK since they reopened as well as a number of visits to Universal. I felt safer there than I did shopping at my local grocery store or eating out as the mask mandate and social distancing were clearly signed, typically enforced, and only rarely ignored. I visited because I felt it was minimal risk and do feel that there has to be some kind of “new normal”. There’s the huge debate over here, a lot of it politically motivated, with the “close everything down” and “open everything up” factions when, as in most cases, the solution is somewhere in between – IMHO.

Only caveat I’d add is I did not and would not go during a holiday weekend, but then again I wouldn’t have done even without the pandemic!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=1010782]of course as a Grandparent you can pretend the virtigo is playing up and sit and watch all the fun, something I could never get away with in years gone by …….[/quote]

I just admit I’m a coward to go on those big dipper type rides. Absolutely frightening. I remember well the old style big dipper at Battersea Fun Fair (does it still exist?) and happily went on that, but the new, super high, super fast ones – no way. 😉 😉

canucklad
    Participant

The best way to answer your question Daniel., tongue in cheek with no disrespect to your guest .

I was wondering what the time was…… so I looked down at my Matthew watch and it said 10 past bonkers time !!

swiss1steve
    Participant

Just came back from EuropaPark in Germany – well well organised
    Wearing of masks on the rides and in the queues
    cleaning some of the rides all the time

Perhaps summertime may be different – longest queues were 25mins

LondonAndy70
    Participant

Not quite the same, but I went to Legoland in Windsor about a month ago, feeling confident due to their “Covid secure” measures. It was a shambles – no social distancing, lots of unmasked visitors, they ran out of hand sanitiser. I wouldn’t repeat the experience, and fear that Disney would be much the same…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls