Virgin Trains weekend supplement for First Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• BPP
    Participant

Can anybody more legally competent than me advise with an issue I had recently traveling North from Euston in First Class on a Saturday.
    As the train was packed in Standard Class (overbooked?), the train was designated single class and First was then inundated with Passengers holding standard class tickets.
    As I had paid for a First Class ticket, I recon that Virgin now owe me the difference. Virgin so far have not responded to my e-mails.
    BPP

ASK1945
    Participant

This is not uncommon, unfortunately.

The Train Manager should have offered a refund form to all those with First Class tickets, or had paid a supplement for First Class.

You may able to get this from the Virgin website.

Apart from that I am afraid you aren’t able to do more.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s a confusing situation. Much could depend on the price of your ticket, was it a normal (flexible) ticket, an Advance fare or a £25 Weekend First supplement (on the standard class fare) ?

It will also depend on the train company. Some may be more pro-active than others.

Let us know how you get on with VT.

These threads on railforums may assist.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57748

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112161

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=788333]Can anybody more legally competent than me advise with an issue I had recently traveling North from Euston in First Class on a Saturday.
    As the train was packed in Standard Class (overbooked?), the train was designated single class and First was then inundated with Passengers holding standard class tickets.
    As I had paid for a First Class ticket, I recon that Virgin now owe me the difference. Virgin so far have not responded to my e-mails.
    BPP

[/quote]

As you train was declassified you’re entitled to the difference between what you paid & what the standard fare would have been (unless you paid the weekend First supplement, then you get that refunded).

If you have already registered your request & have a reference number from VT then they have 28 working days to respond.

If you have not done so, go to https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/refunds to request your refund.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=788338]This is not uncommon, unfortunately.

The Train Manager should have offered a refund form to all those with First Class tickets, or had paid a supplement for First Class.

You may able to get this from the Virgin website.

Apart from that I am afraid you aren’t able to do more.

[/quote]

For quite some time (years) VT TMs have not carried refund forms, as VT’s ethos is to be as paper-free as possible. Some stations may have a physical form.

Otherwise https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/refunds is the place to go.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=788364]It’s a confusing situation. Much could depend on the price of your ticket, was it a normal (flexible) ticket, an Advance fare or a £25 Weekend First supplement (on the standard <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>class</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> fare) ?

It will also depend on the train company. Some may be more pro-active than others.

Let us know how you get on with VT.

These threads on railforums may assist.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57748

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112161

[/quote]

It doesn’t matter on the price of ticket, or ticket type – if it’s a First ticket or the Weekend First uplift has been paid then the passenger is entitled to a refund of that portion of the fare if the train has been declassified (which is what it sounds exactly like what has happened here).

All quite easily done here https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/refunds

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

This has happened to me.

Just fill in their online complaints. I got travel vouchers for the full cost of my journey.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

mkcol74 – Thanks for the clarification. I would hope that BPP reverts to let us know how he gets on with VT.

ASK1945
    Participant

mkcol74

Thank you for correcting me about this.

I used to travel First Class from Manchester to London once or twice a week and so a train being declassified happened every so often.

In the last 3 or 4 years I have only travelled a few times, and never at a weekend, so I haven’t experienced this (says I with fingers crossed now).

BPP
    Participant

Thanks everybody for the input
    I e-mailed Virgin again on Saturday giving them 14 days to give me a proper reply. If not I will now pursue this more formally.
    Had the same issue with the Gatwick-Reading rail link 2 years ago – refund was immediate.
    It’s a great shame as we (Mrs and I) are regular travelers in Virgin First, admittedly on advance fares but should that matter?
    Watch this space!!
    BPP

canucklad
    Participant

As others have mentioned there are many factors at play here, not least amount paid and type of ticket. You also need to take into account the original booking agency.

And a word of warning, the last time I took a Virgin West Coast trip at the weekend, the 1st class restricted ticket was actually substantially cheaper than the 2nd class standard ticket.

So, knowing how the TOC’s work, they might demand a supplement from you, because you got a better deal than your standard class companions sitting next to you …. : )

BPP
    Participant

Thanks all for the support. You will be pleased to know that in the post this morning was a letter of apology and a cheque which in effect was the amount of the weekend supplement for both tickets so matter fully resolved. Thank you Virgin Trains!
    On reflection, if I was forced to travel back on a Saturday again I would Buy Standard Class for that sector, find a vacant seat in First and pay the supplement (if asked for!).
    Better still avoid the morning Liverpool train when Liverpool are playing at home.
    BPP

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BPP – Glad the matter was sorted out. All UK rail travel at weekends can be a lottery because, unlike mainland Europe, we do not operate a 7-day timetable. There have been endless complaints about this for decades but nothing has been done.

When travelling at weekends always check for things like sporting events, engineering works and so on.

GivingupBA
    Participant

BPP, very glad to hear you got an apology and a cheque, you certainly deserved that. Glad to hear that Virgin Trains did the right thing in this case.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls