Virgin Trains – London – Manchester & Return

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

NTarrant
    Participant

This is a review of two journeys on Virgin in First class.

London to Manchester Wednesday 14th November 1240.

I arrived at Euston far earlier than expected so made my way to the first class lounge. The lounge was fairly busy and there was a range of passenger types from business people to a few grannies.

The offerings were fairly basic being just a choice of plain or chocolate biscuits. Hot and cold drinks were available. Some cakes appeared as I was leaving. The lounge is nothing special, but its better than standing on the concourse.

I left the lounge at about 1225 and having arrived on the concourse the board showed that the train would depart from platform 16. I made my way there and joined the queue which went quite quickly as there were three members of staff checking tickets.

Having found coach G I was in seat 2 which was a single airline seat at the begining of the carriage. The carriage only had about six other people spread out.

We departed on time and Bob our train manager gave a fairly mono tone announcement. He came around and checked tickets but was only interested in the ticket rather than the reservation. It was a shame he smelt of stale smoke.

After about 20 minutes I was offered tea or coffee and about ten minutes later our service manager Maria came through with the trolley and offered me three choices of rolls. I plumpted for the cheese foccicia accompanied by a bage of crisps and an apple. There was a choice between fruit or cake.

Another trolley came through with drinks which I declined, but soon after wished I had asked for a water. About half an hour later the same trolley came back through and asked if I required anything which this time I asked for a water.

When we left Crewe a top up of tea was made. In comparison with East Midlands Trains there is usually an offer of a refill twice between Nottingham and London and vv. However, I found the service quite slick and the walking through the train was kept to a minimum.

We arrived four minutes early at Manchester Piccadilly.

Manchester to London Friday 16th November 0700

I checked out of the Doubletree by Hilton at 0630 and ambled to the platform. I was in coach K which is right at the front so a long walk along the platform. I was stood waiting for the doors to open at 0643 and within a few minutes the doors were open.

The only issue with coach K is that it also houses the staff and can be quite noisey with staff chatter.

This train is advertised as next stop Euston, although it stops at Stockport to pick up only then non-stop to Euston. Our train manager Jackie made announcements about being a peak train and only tickets for this train were valid etc etc. After Stockport she made her way through and checked and cancelled tickets. Announcements were fairly long and volume of voice tended to get softer and softer with the last parts almost inaudable.

There was then an announcement from Lisa the service manager who explained the catering facilities. There is noting at seat to say what the offering would be.

A trolley came through with “starters” which the choice appeared to be fruit juice or a choice of cerials. I went for the orange juice which was good. Lisa then came through shortly after asking what we wanted for breakfast. I chose a sausage sandwich which was really two sausages in a roll. All cooked to order and the sausages in a roll was hot and very tasty. The breakfast which some fellow passengers had comprised bacon, sausage, black pudding, tomato, egg and fried bread. Going by the empty plates it must have been good.

There was then an opportunity to have white or brown toast with butter and marmalade or crossiant. Only two cups of tea were served during the journey.

The staff worked very well and were efficent and friendly. We should have arrived at 0858 but we were delayed and arrived at 0917 due to trespassers on the line at Congleton.

All in all both journeys were comfortable and relaxing, staff were polite and friendly. I paid £36.50 for the outward journey and only £81.00 for the peak time journey. Both represented good value for money with the service and quality of food received.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello NTarrant

Thanks for an interesting check. You were smart to book Advance tickets as a normal first class flexible return for this trip would have set you back £423.

You didn’t say for the return leg how many passengers were in your coach.

But a load of a mere 6 passengers on the way to Manchester, even though off-peak when one imagines would have been travelling on cheaper Advance tickets, is not good at all.

I believe Virgin’s Pendolinos have too much first class capacity and particularly for off-peak journeys.

I understand that First Group, had it secured the West Coast franchise, had planned to convert some of the first class accommodation to business class where a simpler service would have been offered at lower fares.

andystock
    Participant

Yes the pendolinos have too many first class seats, often at off peak I have used 1st class for only £3 more than a standard advance fare, worth it for the larger seat alone.

esselle
    Participant

I think the term “First Class” a bit pretentious, given what you actually get, BUT, living only 20 mins from Crewe, the speed to get into Euston, at its best only around 90 mins, is brilliant.

My trips south are split 50/50 between central London and south of Heathrow, so for speed, comfort, hassle etc, I would choose the train over the MAN-LHR any day.

NTarrant
    Participant

Hi LondonCity

Coach K is only effectively half a coach as the other half is the kitchen and crew area. There were four others, so five of us in that coach. I couldn’t say how full or otherwise the other coaches were. I’d agree that there are probably too many first class coaches. The journey north was fairly busy from the numbers on the platform but they may of course been mostly on standard.

Price wise if you know the times you want to travel and can keep to them then the advance tickets make the cost more palatable

Esselle – I’d disagree about First Class being pretrntious, it is a train not a plane. In comparison to East Midlands Trains, you get more with Virgin. For example I travelled on the 1715 St Pancras to Nottingham which was £106.00 and the best they can provide is cheese and biscuits.

esselle
    Participant

HI NTarrant

I was referring to the level of service rather than the offer.

Last time I went down to London, a steward walked through the carriage, holding a huge bag of sugar sachets, calling out at the top of his voice “anybody for sugar?” Perhaps I am getting a bit Victor Meldrew in my advancing years………………….

NTarrant
    Participant

I take your point Esselle, the service was good but it could be even better and the small things like that do tarnish it, like the train manager with fag breath!

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Interestingly, when I booked my ticket last week (which I commented on this site about), the first class fare was cheaper than the standard class fare.

I will let you know what happens tomorrow evening regarding my dinner!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Yes indeed Bath, I think a few reputations are at stake on that?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

NTarrant, thanks for writing this. It gives me hope. When I’ve travelled on the Euston to Manchester route there always seems to be a problem with the service. A galley is not working, they’ve run out of something, they are short of crew and so service is curtailed.

Either you have been lucky or I have been very unlucky but I’m glad to know they get it right sometimes.

NTarrant
    Participant

Henkel – it will be interesting to see if Bath_VIP receives a simular service with his journeys, these were the first journeys I have done on this route for a number of years, so I do hope it was not luck!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Going First Class this Thursday to Liverpool at 13:07 and returning at 15:48 on Sunday. Travelling with girlfriend and 4 month old baby so that will be interesting. I find Virgin 1st OK but I prefer the seats on the Old HST’s on EMT. It is ashame they don’t offer more catering on the weekend services.

Virgin definitely have the set up wrong on the Pendolino’s with 4 First and 5 standard class coaches (soon to be 7 on some trains). It should be a 3-6 split at best on the 9 car trains. The number of times the 4th First Class coach has had to be declassified because of overcrowing at weekends is high. I would even say it should be a 3-8 split on the New extended trains, or 1 first should be converted for those on Non-Advance Tickets (Peak or Off Peak).

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Unfortunately didn’t get the chance to use the lounge today but they managed to run out of tea on the 13:07 to Liverpool in First which is poor. Expected it to be quiet but actually very busy.

BigDog.
    Participant

Am not a big train user myself, however “The Man in Seat Sixty-One site” was top Travel Site in the Telegraph Travel Awards.

http://www.seat61.com

Its intro…
    Flying has lost its glamour. You’re not alone in wanting a more rewarding, low-stress alternative to flying, which brings you closer to the world you live in and reduces your contribution to global warming. It’s time to rediscover real travel by train or ship, where the journey itself is part of the adventure. This site explains how to travel comfortably & affordably by train or ferry where you might think that air was now the only option. For help with train travel, ask the Man in Seat 61!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls