Virgin Atlantic – Up in the air

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

Does Delta not compete with Virgin America for US domestic pax. If so, surely there must be a huge conflict of interest for Virgin. If booking a flight on Virgin Alantic with an onward connection on a route operated by Virgin America and Delta, what do you get?

…..edits to add…..Just checked it out, on London to San Francisco via New York you get Delta and not Virgin America.

Flightlevel
    Participant

They do offer a different style,British too,& with so few aircraft they have to be managed by Delta or at least co-ordinated.Its a matter of survival on the most competitive routes in the world and the more variety of choice the better for pax.Another 30 years – only if they become profitable!

wastedlife
    Participant

The Tom Bower biography of Branson – defended in a libel suit – is interesting reading.

To my mind, the issue the airline is going to face sooner or later is succession. Being blunt, Branson himself isn’t getting any younger, is approaching an age when he could just drop dead tomorrow and the kids seem to be displaying no inclination to be involved in the empire.

But, if Delta are basically in managerial control, VS becomes a very illiquid passive investment with unclear profitability. So I guess on one hand, the family trust could just keep the investment and pay dividends out (if it makes money) and keep the family in the manner to which they have been accustomed. But if you want to realise your investment, what to do? IPO? Seem to remember Branson isn’t great friends with the city. Sell to a rival? Well, the obvious acquirer would require the dismantling of the Delta JV. Seems to me the medium to long term future remains very much unclear.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls