Virgin Atlantic joining Skyteam – what “new routes” can you envisage?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 204 total)

• Auto Alpha
    Participant

Yes it’s the 789 on both flights.

VS should have atleast put the A359 on the BLR route because that will definitely bring in passengers from BA.

MarkivJ
    Participant

[postquote quote=1367531]

I was going to say: I hope BA gets competitive and adds a few extra frequencies to BLR!

MarkivJ
    Participant

Per Indian media, flight #s are VS316 and 317, dep from BLR is 4:05am (which is right after the Gulfies and European airlines leave). 4am dep from BLR means a 10a/11a arrival into LHR which should connect nicely with a bulk of VS and DL US flights.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Personally, i dislike flights leaving after midnight, or before 8am. For morning flights, i stay at the airport itself, wherever that is.
    It means getting up during the night, and if away, you have issues with a hotel room, even if you can get, or pay for a late checkout, only til 5/6pm.
    I am soon travelling from LHR on AF Biz all through CDG-SIN, (Then Garuda)- CGK, so will check where and if there are any VS recognitions, in The Skyteam around Those World Airports, and Airlines.
    I will also check Sydney as there is a SKYteam Lounge there also if VS or VA are at all linked up, for the benefit of all ehere.

Does anyone see VS Featured as included in Skyteam on flying Westwards – States wise?

onajetplane
    Participant

Not necessarily a new route and obviously previously reported, but VA has now opened bookings for intra-Caribbean routes (Bridgetown – Grenada and Bridgetown – St. Vincent). I did a quick search and seems currently only economy seats open to book – albeit presumably that might change.

Auto Alpha
    Participant

[postquote quote=1367546]

BA can’t increase frequency now because the BASA is exhausted after VS announced flights.

Only option for BA is to get the A35K on that route.

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

onajetplane – I wonder re these tags if as they are so short – maybe as short as 30 minutes and so simply up and down, that VS feel that as there may be no catering, they feel they cannot promote a flight as a true business class? Or maybe allocating the tier points was too tricky for such a short route?

Auto Alpha thank you for your contributions re the BLR route. You mentioned BA using A350-1000, but do you think there is substantial demand for a First product – and so allocating a 777-300?

Also other websites have given more specific details re schedules (for VS the schedules for DXB/BLR/GRU) – can I suggest the BT team give more details of these as they become available. Schedules are crucial parts of the decision making process for travellers and who has the best options directly impact on who we fly with for a specific trip.

MarkivJ
    Participant

[postquote quote=1367698]

I’ve flown the BA A350 on that route during winter season. I flew their 777 3 wks ago and it was the new club world suites so looks like they have finally upgraded the BLR aircraft !

MarkivJ
    Participant

sparkyflier: whilst BA and most airlines would always have lots of bums to fill up seats, I don’t think south India has the same kind of 1st class potential that a Delhi or a mumbai has. They’re best sticking to the 772 for more no of seats for the BLR route. It’s for high volume markets like these where I’m sure BA misses the 747 (I’m aware the jumbo had F).

MarkivJ
    Participant

Form routesonline :

“ According to Sabre Market Intelligence figures, O&D traffic between London and Bengaluru totaled 160,400 two-way passengers in 2022, about 35% of whom traveled direct. The biggest one-stop market was Dubai, followed by Abu Dhabi and Delhi. The 2022 figure compares to 221,000 passengers in 2019 before the pandemic.”

This stat doesn’t address how many of the BLR – London traffic connected onwards though.

Auto Alpha
    Participant

[quote quote=1367723]Auto Alpha thank you for your contributions re the BLR route. You mentioned BA using A350-1000, but do you think there is substantial demand for a First product – and so allocating a 777-300?[/quote]

Thank you for the appreciation Sir😊

Now since BA flies out of BLR daily with >95% loads(J and Premium Eco are fully filled out on certain days) and that BLR was one of the launch markets for the A35K (for BA), I think it would make sense to re-deploy the A35K.
    BOM, which has lesser yields than BLR gets the A35K.

IMHO, I find BA highly un-competitive in markets where it has a monopoly and no competition.

Auto Alpha
    Participant

There is some news that VS will be terminating its Austin services in NS-24 to accommodate the newly announced BLR flight.

cwoodward
    Participant

Auto Alpha
    Re your ‘MHO, I find BA highly un-competitive in markets where it has a monopoly and no competition.’

If BA are ‘highly-uncompetitive on the route who are they uncompetitive with exactly ?

Fundamentally a route with no competition and a full aircraft is mana from heaven for any airline and they will milk it for all that is possible without destroying the pax numbers.

MarkivJ
    Participant

[postquote quote=1368575]

Wow no way! But hardly a shocker .

AndrewinHK
    Participant

BA out guns them to Austin. They use the A350 and they had a big head start with building out the route. Likely some over capacity too with Norse.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 204 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls