Vienna Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

PeterSch
    Participant

CAT – City Airport Train

Taking the CAT from/to Vienna City to Vienna Intl. Airport is quick but inconvenient and rather expensive for the comfort you get….

First, you have to fight against a huge construction site to find your way. No propper signs – or even wrong directions! On the way to the city, finding the underground or the taxi station is a real hassle!! It took us 30 min to find our way…

Going from the city to the airport was even worse. We ended up in an overheated train compartement which made us sweat all the way from the city to the airport. When you get there you are almost dehydrated – and your suit is ready for dry cleaning (which costs you another 20 Dollars)… Obviously, there is no aircondition on that train!!

For the price you pay for 3 persons (EUR 11.00 one-way per person for app. 15 min. travel time) you can easily take a taxi for less money and much more comfort….

dbalcon
    Participant

Agree. Was in Vienna about a month ago and took the CAT into the city (bought a return ticket, fool that I was) and discovered the construction site upon arrival at the city terminal end, though managed to make my way to the Ubahn. However, on the way back I could not find the entry from the Ubahn and ended up circling the entire city block before spotting some cryptic painted directions on the sidewalk!

Then the real nightmare began. Since I had an early morning flight the next day, I decided to do my final night at the airport hotel. When I got off the CAT I found myself mis-led once more, ending up outside instead of inside the new terminal building. But that terminal building was just for OS and STAR airlines, and I was leaving on Niki. I wanted to check out their check-in so I knew my way around in the morning. I hit a dead end as it appears there is no simple link between the old and new terminals, and with no operating escalators I had to carry my bags down and up a number of stairs before managing to get into the old terminal.

After discovering the Niki/AirBerlin check-in area was in a small building across from the main old terminal — through traffic heading the drop passengers off at this and the new OS terminal! — I then had to make my way to the hotel. I could not locate a single sign in the terminal offering directions and after finding a staffed Information desk, discovered that I had to make my way down basement hallways and through a deserted parking garage! No signage…no markings…a true nightmare!

(Next morning, the signage to get through security and to the proper gates was also poor, and the actual process requires one to once more descend a level, go through security and the go up a level to get to the gates! Who designed this insane airport? Not to mention no club lounge in the departure gate area Niki/AirBerlin operation from!)

I am sure someone flying OS will enjoy their new terminal, but for the rest of us, VIE has become one more of the worst airports in the world!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls