Using points for purchases

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

Does anybody actually use points to buy from airline stores?

I never even considered it but this morning I received my flying blue statement, instead of just deleting I read it and like all good click through sites I found myself looking at the offers. Staggering is all I the words I could think. In comparison on the flight offers I can get EU to HKG for 156,000 Points in business or 157,000 points I can buy a Dyson. Flight to HK average price £2000. High street price of Dyson………£500.

I think you need to be on a no-fly list to choose to buy items instead of flights!

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Similarly I look at the Amex catalogue for points purchases and the number of points for a basic purchase is ridiculous when I compare how many miles in the air those points get me if I transfer them to my BA executive club account.

knightflyer
    Participant

I think it depends, it can make sense if miles are soon to expire. I’ve made very good value for money purchases on Etihad’s site, delivered into Egypt and Malaysia for points only, with no add-on duty or charges. Good VFM.

Contrasting with that, I was hit with duty and charges equal to the value of the items when I tried the same with Emirates, not even close to being worth it. I just converted a wedge of expiring Skywards miles to Heathrow Rewards as it provided much better VFM.

PerthWA
    Participant

Definitely no having had the ‘you’ll lose your points in a nano-second unless you do something NOW’ from Virgin Velocity, I ended up with a steam cleaner and a cook book. If I’d read the fine print on these outstanding quite a few thousand points, I could have been in First on SQ on my last flight, except of course there was no First. Points roulette. I give up!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls