Using Ireland as a gateway for USA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

With one of BA’s flights from LCY to JFK losing its pre clearance in Shannon, it made me wonder why Ireland is not being marketed as a major gateway for entering the USA.

I understand most travellers would consider a stop of any kind enroute as a total waste of time, but considering the time involved in stopping against a virtual guarantee of being able to make your connecting flight or scheduled meeting on arrival in America, must be something most travellers would find beneficial.

So why isnt Ireland being marketed as a gateway for the USA?

Travellator
    Participant

It is a bit of a victim of its own success – NO APD well £ 5 or eqv.

Emirates -DUB to DXB – 777 300 then DXB to HKG A 380 in Business return approx £2200. OK a few hours longer but chauffeur drive at each end both ways, fantastic in flight service and food.

Compare to BA – now approx £ 3500 LHR/HKG/HKG in CW.

I rest my case !

If flying to the USA pre clear USA immigration in DUB.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I think it depends partly where you live. Outside of London, I think the gateway to the US element is more strongly marketed by Aer Lingus than in London where there is much more choice.

DavidRenton
    Participant

I have used Dublin pre-clearance, and I landed in Chicago airport, bags collected, and heading for the exit in 10 minutes – fantastic service. Aer Lingus Premier suits me fine. I would definitely recommend flying via Dublin purely for the pre-clearance. Took me 5 minutes as opposed to 90 minutes in USA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Interestingly it’s possible to fly from Southend to New York with Aer Lingus via Dublin. Overall journey time is 11hrs 35 mins including 2 hrs 15 mins to change planes in DUB.

Flight time is longer than from LHR but getting from the Southend area to LHR is a hassle and of course you would have to clear C & I on arrival at JFK.

I agree that LCY is nearer to Southend but Southend would appeal to Y class passengers or those seeking a lower-priced J class fare.

Travellator
    Participant

London City – You would clear C & I at DUB so time saved there.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for correcting me ! I made a typo. That’s what I meant to say.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I can’t understand why just Ireland has US preclearance and the UK doesn’t. The volume of flights that go to NY must be in double figures not including code shares. Most of these jets tend to be 747’s too so not exactly a low volume of passengers. Likewise the UK should adopt preclearance in NY for passengers returning to the UK. Implementing this strategy would be less strain in immigration halls on both ends.

Travellator
    Participant

BB – Agreed ! The first airline to fund this would gain a quantum leap on the others !

Having used pre clearance on LCY/JFK and getting straight out of the terminal is a major incentive !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think that there are 2 issues why the UK does not have pre clearance into the USA.

1. Space at UK airports

2. The standoff whether US Immigration officials can carry guns on UK soil.

I may be wrong about (2) but this is what I recall.

Travellator
    Participant

Cant remember if the agents were armed at Shannon.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

My brother-in-law who travels to the US a couple of times a month and never used to set foot on any other carrier if BA offered the route has recently discovered the EI option. He finds clearance at Dublin very easy and straightforward. He thinks the ease of this on the outbound makes the stop on return worthwhile.

Apparently EI loads across the pond are very good in both cabins so that’s probably why they don’t advertise the service. For C service he says it is at least as good as BA with the advantage that the crew are consistently pleasant.

DavidRenton
    Participant

Hi Martyn, my understanding was that the pre-clearance meant you were actually in American territory, hence landing as a domestic.

My recent outbound on EI, there were only 5 pax in C, but normally full. I think EI service trumps BA, and the staff are indeed always pleasant (love the accent).

My one gripe with EI is that they have a small Y cabin immediately behind C, only 2 rows, but they will insist on putting babies there. I have travelled with kids since birth so cannot really say anything, however they could use those 14 seats for other passengers and save the €2000+ passengers on an overnight with an almost flat bed the griping to the crew and forums…..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

In an ideal world, I would choose to fly straight back from the US to UK without a Irish stop. Otherwise the night is very short and jet lag may prevail.

However, anything to shorten the US arrival procedure is excellent!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls