US vs. Euro Carriers

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

eirtraveller
    Participant

It seems to me that the gap between the US and Euro standard of Biz (and first) travel experience is ever growing, notwithstanding the seat updating that most American carriers are putting into operation slowly.

The experience that US travellers are willing to put up with (and who most of the time honestly don’t know there’s any better out there) is just terrible. Recent experiences with American, Delta, Continental and United have left me gasping for redemption from Virgin, BA, and onwards East to Asian carriers. Whatever issues one might have with British and European carriers (even Air France) pale when you’re stuck on a 757 with Continental. The FAs make a point, on almost every flight, of letting you know this really is just a job, and sit there and shut up. The food is without exception. Dessert, for example, on AA (Biz AND First Class), Continental, Delta and others is ice cream with a selection of sauces and a few other bits n bobs. OK, edible yes, but really needs more effort!

We all know the seats are in dire need of updating (I have yet to travel on anything “modern” apart from AA’s offering) so perhaps that will at least help whenever the retrofitting happens. But as an overall experience (from check in to lounge to aircraft) it’s just a different world. Heading from the dreary “Admiral’s Lounge” to the old 757 or 767s, thrown some food and drink and ignored till you can be ejected isn’t quite good enough for thousands of dollars – often much more than the Euro counterparts.

Really, it seems to me that the US airlines operate on the premise that until many more US travellers figure out there’s something else out there, they’re safe.

tarisingh
    Participant

I have got to the point that I’d rather not travel if United is the only option!

Wildgoose
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I recently flew to the US on US Airways and while the seats weren’t great and the food even worse, the crew couldn’t be faulted for their friendly, informal service.

Inquisitive
    Participant

The US airlines services are bnecause of the passengers. Most of them do not know what is offered by Asian and European airlines and when they taste the other airlines, they get converted immediately. I have seen many US passengers eat like xxxx and get drunk at Asian lounges and still complain whereas they behave like doll/robots at US airport lounges where no food or alcohol drinks are available free. And for United – I posted earlier – the FAs behaves like hospital matrons – in long haul flights, if you overslept, they may not serve breakfast. If you get up yourselves, sometime they are not happy – do you want breakfast Johnny?

boeing747-400
    Participant

I really think US carriers need to be trained by managers of inflight service from Thai Air and Singapore Airlines. The menus & attitude of FAs in Bus. and First need a major change. Recently, Thai Air has improved their menus on flt.s into LAX, and are almost as exquisite as Singapore Air. There’s no reason our domestic carriers can’t improve their menus and improve the attitude & skill level of FAs.
    Certainly, once a First class flier discovers these Asian carriers, they no longer fly US carriers across the Pacific.

Binman62
    Participant

I would rather walk than fly with an American carrier. I flew Seoul to Manila some years back in First Class on Northwest. I was the only passengers in the cabin. Service was indeed informal, bordering on the familiar, which is fine if you want that type of thing. I ordered the steak, the only item American’s can cook and then asked for the wine list. I was advised there was Red or White!!

When I flew back two days later I was again the only passenger and was greated witht the words..”oh it’s you again!!”

American Cariers bully their way into airports around the world, and continue to abuse grandfather rights in Asia. When they do not get what they want the bring in the Embassy to pile on the pressure to ensure that they do get what they want.
    They do not compete, they bully and intimadate and the poor US travelling public buy into this system as so few of them hold a passport and even fewer leave the confines of the continental USA. Until Americans wake up and “smell the coffee”, as well a stop seeing international travel as going to the Carribean, Mexico or Canada, then the awful state of US carrers will continue.

boeing747-400
    Participant

I forgot to mention one detail. It’s amazing how the FAs on Thai or Singapore Air greet you by your name, as you enter the bus. or FC cabin. They address you by your name thru out the flt., even if the cabin is totally full. They remember your name. At the end of the flt., they even thank you by your name as you leave the cabin.
    It’s a great professional touch, that you don’t forget the next time you’re making reservations when flying int’l.
    If US carriers can’t train their FAs adequately for superb inflight service, maybe they could at least teach them this strategy.

PerfectClarity
    Participant

Agree with the sentiments expressed here!

Most astute Amercians I’ve met on international fly Air New Zealand out of California anyway.

With marketing like this:

http://www.perfectclarity.tv/player3/player3.php?video=airnz

Who can resist?

Hess963
    Participant

You are right–a nice, sleek, simple ad which arouse desire to be with that lady in a great location for diving, a private boat, in a secluded beach and not far away from a moderne city…great stuffs. As I have experiences ANZ–the service, the crew are just great…no wonder the Americans turn their back on their national airlines..I can only assume their top tier elite status just stay with them because they still have that privileges but if they are gone….The US airlines will have to learn that service attitude and the whole package of service on board is vital for sustaining premium pax on board their aircrafts..with a huge competition around them…I just wonder how long can they stick their head in the ground and hide from reality..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls