US Airways B757 Coach

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

This review relates to US Airways direct seasonal Glasgow – Philadelphia service. It is operated by a single aisle B757 which is a bit of a challenge in terms of comfort. I was booked in Economy on both legs and, although I am Star Alliance Gold, received no on-board recognition or preferential treatment. However, I was able to use lounges at both Glasgow (Skylounge) and Philadelphia (Envoy Lounge). The Glasgow lounge is used by a range of airlines and is somewhat dated in its facilities. The International Envoy Lounge in Philadelphia is one of the best of its type i have experienced in the USA with good cold food options and a wide range of drinks, free wi-fi etc.

Both flights were relatively full, especially the return. Seating is tight with limited legroom. “Better” seats can be pre-booked for $35 but the best, just behind Envoy class, did not seem to be available unless you are a member of the US Airways FF programme. Food is basic for long-haul – one hot meal with a choice of a either vegetarian pasta or a meat dish plus a snack before landing. My pasts meal on the way out was palatable but the chicken and rice on the return was unpleasant. Beer, wine and soft drinks are complementary but refills are limited. “Entertainment” was big screen and headphones (unless you had your own) is charged at £3 or $5 but did not appear to be worth the investment, given the size of the monitors in the aisle.

Cabin staff were really disappointing. they were all of a mature disposition and appeared very bored by their responsibilities. They did not engage with customers beyond the absolute minimum required to deliver the service. On the return flight, i was next to a mother and a (perfectly behaved) 7 month baby. The cabin staff only acknowledged their existence to check on seat belts etc.

The route suited me perfectly as it was point-to-point for my meeting in Philadelphia but there is little to commend the service beyond this. US immigration at Philly was fantastic – no queues and luggage through really fast. Glasgow on the return was also good in that most of the passengers were non-EU so, again, no queues. Prices are not cheap – mine was over £1,000.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls