United or Swiss

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

Haven’t flown United for ages. And never did it over the Pond. So am curious. united.com writes that all aircraft “by the beginning of 2013” will be equipped with the new fully flat seat in United BusinessFirst. Is this right? If it is, is it worth a try? Or shall I simply take Swiss and shut up?

Californian
    Participant

I would take Swiss. The service is more consistent and delivered in a more caring and individual manner. But I suppose I should ask which type of aircraft you would be on. UA still has several different flat bed seats. If you get the old United (not Continental) aircraft the seats can be very crowded. It’s ok on the 767 but the 777 and 747 main deck are very crowded with 8 abreast seating and no real privacy dividers. The crews are all being retrained on United and I had a great flight on UA a month ago in international business but a rather mediocre return so the service is a bit spotty still. The US carriers are upping their game and are not as bad as they once were. But I still much prefer Swiss to any of the US offerings.

Senator
    Participant

If you fly from LHR to EWR or IAH from T4 you will most likely be on a pre-merger Continental aircraft with the exception of a B767-300ER that operates on one of the daily LHR-IAH flights.

The B757-200ER have 2-2 in BusinessFirst and if the B777-200ER is without F then it is the pre-merger Continental 2-2-2 seating which is excellent. As much as I like Swiss, I have always been happy with the pre-merger Continental kit.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Swissdiver, look at what just went up on the BT website:

http://www.businesstraveller.asia/asia-pacific/news/united-completes-retrofitting

As I read it, you would get the new seats.

Californian
    Participant

You will get a flat bed but there are two types of seats — the continental seat and the UA seat. The UA seat is fine on a 767 or 747 upper deck but a bit crowded in its 8-abreast configuration on a 777 or lower deck of a 747. The ex-continental seat is better in my opinion and the cabin is less crowded. The two class 777s with businessfirst and economy have the CO seats.

DutchinSwitzerland
    Participant

Hey Swiss, i often fly UA out of Geneva mostly to IAD but next month to EWR. Personally I realyl like the seating on the 767 used from GVA. The seat is comfortable, normally staff is quite good, and IMHO the entertainment system is nicer on UA then on Swiss. The benefit of LX is that they have the single window seats which offer more privacy. As mentioned already the lay-out of the 777 and 747 are a bit crowded but I don’t believe we have those planes out of switzerland. Certainly worth a try

Senator
    Participant

There are two different BusinessFirst seats on United, depending on it being pre-merger CO or UA aircraft

B747-400
    All pre-merger UA, and 8 abreast on lower deck and 4 abreast upper deck using the BA backwards/forwards layout

B767-300ER
    All pre-merger UA, and 6 abreast using the using the BA backwards/forwards layout

B777-200ER with First Class
    All pre-merger UA, and 8 abreast using the BA backwards/forwards layout

B757-200ER
    All pre-merger CO, and 4 abreast all forward facing

B767-400ER
    All pre-merger CO, and 5 abreast all forward facing

B777-200ER no F
    All pre-merger CO, and 6 abreast all forward facing

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/default.aspx

I really enjoy the pre-merger CO kit, very good!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I would go Swiss if only for the consistent service and friendliness of the crew.

If you do, try to get a seat in the small cabin directly behind first.

FirstTraveller
    Participant

I add my vote to SWISS.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Stick with SWISS.

United can sometimes have FA’s who had pterodactyls as pets.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Hi DutchinSwitzerland,
    From ORD I would have to make a stop anywhere. This would be as West as possible to extend the night flight time (I hate those East coast flights where we eat – I can’t find my sleep at 7 or 8pm anyway – and have then only about 3 hours of sleep). So plane type is not guaranteed.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Hi LP,
    I always try to get a seat in the “small cabin”, ideally 4A

Swissdiver
    Participant

@all, thanks!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Swiss then it will be. Not yet in the small cabin though. And upgrades not available for now. So on a K seat, for now…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls