United abandons plans for San Francisco-Bengaluru

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

I know some readers on the US West Coast were wondering about this route.

Media reports suggest United has abandoned plans to operate this non-stop route (at least for now).

It was first mooted some time ago and had been postponed several times because of the Ukraine conflict (US airlines are subject to a Russian overflying ban).

Our piece from January 2022.

United Airlines to start daily flights from Bengaluru to San Francisco by the end of 2022

Woodpecker
    Participant

Wasn’t there some news a while back that Air India are planning to start this route, especially given that they have no issues in overflying Russia? If so, UA being part of the Star Alliance could just code share this route.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

You are correct Woodpecker.

I checked Air India’s website and, although it shows many en route connections, it does fly SFO-BLR non-stop.

Flight number is AI 176 and it may not be a daily flight.

Schedule time is 17 hrs 55 mins non-stop.

As you say Air India overflies Russia.

For this route it operates B777-200LR aircraft which it acquired from US airline Delta.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Much like the AA SEA-BLR not materialising, I’d have been shell shocked if this SFO-BLR flight also took wing. It just isn’t feasible as biz traffic (primarily IT) btn the 2 Silicon Valleys have dwindled and doesn’t show any sign of picking up anytime soon.

With the new 2nd daily UA EWR-DEL, the new 3x weekly MUN-BLR (LH) and additional frequencies supposedly being added by SQ to BLR, I guess United will have no issues for the two Silicon Valleys traffic (in addition of course to air India’s 16x weekly India – SFO, and eventually when UA’s SFO-DEL opens up again).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls