UK Border Service branded a "disgrace" in leaked report.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

Some media outlets are picking up on a leaked report concerning the UK Border Service which has shown their complete inability to correctly monitor those individuals of interest who have traveled to places such as Libya, Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan associated with terrorism. It seems that Border Service has “no clue” how many radicalised jihadis have returned to the UK after travelling to fight for ISIS.

About 850 British people are thought to have gone abroad to fight with ISIS, around 100 have been killed, some 480 have returned to the UK but the Border Service has admitted it no longer has the records of when and where they re-entered the UK with many doing so despite being on Security Services watch lists and subject to interview.

K1ngston
    Participant

Don’t even get me started ………

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I bet the Americans know who they are though!

capetonianm
    Participant

This is, in every sense of the word, tragic.

esselle
    Participant

A bit like the PanAmerican Skymarshalls (remember them?); they put the Border Force staff in nice new uniforms to give the impression of a competent and professional organisation…………….

Flightlevel
    Participant

And who did that in the Uk and cut back personnel, etc. St.Teresa wasn’t it? The country’s never safe with her!

summerfly
    Participant

After a long flight the last thing anyone wants to do is stand in a long queue (sometimes up to 2 hours) at border control. But we accept that it is important to screen everyone entering the country and assume by the level of scrutiny displayed that they are doing a good job. It’s most worrying to hear that they are not. But somehow they manage to communicate with airlines to catch minor criminals even before they get off the plane?

penfold69
    Participant

“But somehow they manage to communicate with airlines to catch minor criminals even before they get off the plane”
    From what I know, when this happens, it’s actually because of the police informing the airport/boarder control that someone is arriving. The police have usually done some kind of investigation, and then need to contact the airline to check if someone is booked on the flight.

MarkCymru
    Participant

A South African colleague spent two hours clearing immigration at Heathrow last weekend. This security theatre drives away business and tourism while the Home Office remains incapable of running a database that any competent 15-year old could set up for them. “Strong”? Hardly. “Stable”? If that’s another way of saying. “indolent and stagnant”, maybe.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Totally agree FlightLevel. Cuts she has overseen whilst Home Office Minister are scary. I doubt they can carry out all of the tasks that are required in anywhere close to a capable manner.

Anyway – Turkeys voting for Christmas or Slugs voting for Salt come to mind. Sadly many will see the illusion and not the reality.

Did come back through Gatwick last week though – Border control was very efficient indeed!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Flightlevel & TimFtzgerald…..why can so few see the utter incompetence of St Teresa’s border agency changes…

alainboy56
    Participant

@ flightlevel – don’t blame the cuts and be political about it, we just need to get these numpties to do their jobs!
    Firstly without reverting to racism, there is no need to ask a grey haired, blue eyed Caucasian chap where he is traveling from, why he goes to certain ‘strange’ countries etc etc etc, they have the info in their computer, so why ask? its a waste of time and holds us all up in the queues, or it did before they revamped the e-gates.
    Secondly if they had done their jobs in the first place and I am referring to both ‘Plod’ and the UK Gestapo dressed border force, when they have compiled names and lists of people who have gone abroad for jihad then simply cancel the passport, therefore whenever they present themselves at any port/airport/border they will be apprehended – and problem solved – they don’t come back. Being British does not just mean ‘holding a passport’ – its a mindset. And if you can go off on jihad and slit people’s throats, then IMO you are no longer British!
    The politicians or the civil servants are however, guilty in giving out passports like confetti and they have put our lives in danger because of these over-liberal attitudes.

K1ngston
    Participant

alainboy56 I both agree and disagree with your comments, you are being racist by saying the blue eyed Caucasian shouldnt be stopped, I have just married a Singaporean so by that statement everytime we travel one of us will be stopped and I will be whisked through because I’m white???

I lived for almost 3 years in Jamaica and everytime I flew into the US with luggage I would have to wait up to 90 minutes along with everyone else coming from there as I had been “racially profiled” and must have drugs in my baggage, this angered me but what you are suggesting is just that, if you are anything other than white and grey haired you are a potential threat and therefore immediate racial profiling

Now, what to do about that is the $100,000,000 question, how do you stop jihadists freely travelling the world, as well as protect the borders of countries? Sharing of information is key, and being able to rely on the great work the security forces do to stop these losers from travelling.

I agree anyone leaving their homeland to go fight for ISIS loses their passport and right to return to their country with that passport.

I both hate with a passion and at the same time have sympathy for the UK Border Guards, my beloved waited for 3.30 hours a month ago to enter into the UK this is completely unacceptable and this was due to numbers in the arrivals hall and not enough staff to cope, what should happen is that with any citizen from a friendly country should be allowed to enter via the e gates ( I can into NZ and Aus) why cant they come into the UK this would free up the force to be able to Police the borders adequately and put our premier airport back on the maps and not somewhere to avoid at all costs ….

K1ngston
    Participant

alainboy56 – Apology accepted and I understand you were trying to highlight a point. If you have read my posts over the last 12 days you know I have been stuck in Dhaka and know that there are serious issues there and we are confined to our hotel of an evening and now especially with the onset of Ramadan we need to be vigilant.However most Bangladeshis I know are lovely caring people who are like us all out to make a living for themselves and their families.

I have not been to the Council Offices in Tower Hamlets I dont live in the UK and have not done so for sometime, and even if I did I would not have needed to be in the vicinity of Tower Hamlets …

Regarding racial profiling we have seen whole cities and communities ostracised due to RP especially in the US, there should and needs to be a better way to deal with the issues of the day. Our whole lives can be gathered and sorted by algorithms for purposes of purchase history via our likes and dislikes and I can assure you Governments today know where you are going, what you are browsing and what threat you are, not by looking at you and deciding because of your ethnicity, colour, race, gender, that you must be something you are not!

Racial profiling goes back to the heinous times of genocide due to the very same things, and today we do the same thing.

Maybe my term of friendly country was out of context as defining as such could be different, but I can assure you if Governments were to check the online history of my beloved they would have a much better understanding of face creams, moisturisers and Gucci clothing and nothing else …

stevescoots
    Participant

+1 Alainboy56

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls