UK Border Force uniforms

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

canucklad
    Participant

Just wanted to gauge people’s opinions on the new uniforms….

Arriving into Edinburgh last week, I was slightly taken aback when I entered immigration.

If I didn’t know I had landed in Scotland, I would I have assumed I had just landed in a 1970’s Cold War Eastern European airport……

And it got me wondering why the Home Office opted for a look that, is so is more suited to a Balkan Paramilitary Brigade, than to people who are supposed to represent a Western democratic country…….. Is this really the first impression we want to create as we welcome tourists and businessmen into the UK ?

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Are they a product of the Nicola Sturgeon School Of Fashion?

garrison76
    Participant

canucklad, I know what you mean – was quite shocked when I saw them at T5 last week, almost paramilitary looking as you say. But then I imagine Ms May and the lovely people at the Home Office are more concerned with scaring off the “swarms” of nasty immigrants who are coming over here to steal our jobs, our benefits and our NHS than with welcoming anyone (especially not Johnny Foreigner)…

Charles-P
    Participant

We have seen this with the development of police uniforms in the UK as well. What was once a pleasant dark uniform that demonstrated authority combined with visibility has now become either a horrendous ‘high visibility’ mishmash of nylon or a pseudo special forces tactical collection.
    The Border Services would be better spending its money on teaching its staff some basic manners.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Carajillo2Sugar – 07/09/2015 16:57 BST

In her dreams!

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Did they share notes with the Australian Border Force. I guess the paramilitary look is in vogue these days. Fear… The best way to control the people!

StewartK
    Participant

At least they are not carrying Tasers or Glock 9mm pistols – yet!

Carlton-Browne
    Participant

The problem is that once you start dressing people up to look like a member of a SWAT team then they start behaving like one. Woeful.

Charles-P
    Participant

Carlton-Browne – clearly you have never seen the French Customs officials at the Channel Tunnel who for some inexplicable reason are all armed and dressed for another Operation Nimrod. Far from a SWAT team they look more like a Weight Watchers convention on a day out with a look that my mother would call,
    “nicely relaxed”.

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 FDOS_UK thats funny 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls