UAE e-gate

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

Ftrichard
    Participant

Was delighted some months ago that I could obtain an e-gate card at DXB to avoid immigration queues, even though I am not UAE resident. Once it blocked in DXB and I had to get it repaired at the desk.

Recently I went in and out of AUH with my card but when I came through one week later, it refused entirely. Cleared immigration with my passport and had to queue at the e-gate office landside, only to be told it doesn;t work in AUH if it was issued in DXB, even though it worked one week earlier! It should be a great improvement but technically seems to be very poor. Anyone else having similar issues?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

It wouldn’t surprise me if DXB ones don’t work in AUH. They are quite capable of changing the system without communication.

Also, there are some significant differences in law between the individual emirates, e.g. you can drive on your UK licence in Dubai, in Abu Dhabi, an international driving permit is required.

Also, the UAE is notorious for every public servant expressing a different view on the law etc. 🙂

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

FTrichard

I’ve just booked a trip to DXB next month, so I’ll do some digging when I renew my e-gates card and try to check out whether it should work in AUH and vice versa.

I’ll post again, after my trip.

Ftrichard
    Participant

Thanks.

Had an interesting experience on Friday when departing from AUH. A guy who had entered the UAE in DXB with his e-gate card and travelled to Abu Dhabi by road was trying to exit AUH with his e-gate card, to no avail. I was using my passport anyway as the e-gate card didn’t work when coming in. The other guy got sent to a different desk and when I had cleared immigration and security, the poor guy was still waiting to get the problem solved in the system. Clearly they have considerable issues with this.

Nevertheless it is a great advantage when arriving in DXB as the queues for passport control can be humungous.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls