Two too many at BA!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• openfly
    Participant

GnT……many of the male BA cabin crew at LGW are redeployed baggage handlers!!

julmops
    Participant

BA and Swiss have a very large competitor in the shape of Easyjet in Geneva for example … Both are now offering hand luggage only fares to try and take some business back from Easyjet… Your experience is obviously linked to that … I’ve never experienced that on LX or BA but numerous times on Easyjet and Ryanair … And when I’m not too bothered on the latter ones, it deeply annoys me to see that spreading onto legacy carriers …

Johnhighlander
    Participant

G&T I had a similar event but with another passanger – I will not name the nationality but we were on our way to Paris. The crew member stood and watched as this guy removed my briefcase (my roller bag I had already placed in the hold) from the bin and declared he needed the space for his bags. There were a number of strong words between us but at no time did the crew member intercede. The red mist was there but I decided to not take matters further seeing as the crew member was unwilling to get involved.
    But I can assure you that this will never happen again!
    But I too share the view that BA needs to start putting an end to the ridiculous volume of luggage people try and do bring onboard as hand carry!

SSTBeliever
    Participant

I must say find that the “Clockwork Orange” airline manage their boarding queues and hand luggage storage far more efficiently and fairly than BA do.
    Purchase an upfront fare and you join the “orderly” queue and get on first and hence have plenty of room to place your bags in the bins. Join “Plus” and get to take a second (small) bag on as well – what could be simpler.
    No worries about lounges – Priority Pass takes care of that and flights tend to be on time and of a consistent standard regardless.
    Having been a “points junkie” for too many years I have voted with my feet and where the two fly against each other travel has become a whole lot more civilised again but its all in the planning and making rational decisions rather than going with the herd – I think my stress levels have benefited and hence my life expectance has as well!
    Efficient travel, like efficient business, does not need clutter and excess.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If passengers hand baggage were screened correctly when entering airside (even as a transit passenger), BA and other airlines would not have the problem to solve!

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

The logical answer to the problem of too much hand luggage is … to charge for hand luggage.

Why do airlines charge for bags in the hold but not bags in the cabin, where they cause much more problem and delay?

If any airline was brave enough (and lateral thinking enough) to price luggage so that bags in the hold were free and bags above one small one in the cabin were charged, it would win my custom immediately. And probably find its timekeeping much improved.

Charles-P
    Participant

I have been flying a lot recently to Turkey with Lufthansa and they have a rigid policy on these flights that pays dividends for everyone. At the gate their rules are strictly enforced and subsequent complaining by some is ignored. They offer the same choice each time, in the hold or do not fly, you choose.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Charles-P – +1 (the pity is its not said before security at all airports)

Charles-P
    Participant

Martyn

Yes I agree with you but of course airports don’t care that much and are more focused on getting people into the shops as fast as possible.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls