Turkish Airlines prepares to launch Australia in March 2024

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• onajetplane
    Participant

@Rferguson2 Had posted without seeing your latest post!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Only option from the UK is to leave at 0600.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Whilst this is amazing news for folks in the smaller towns around Central, East Europe and the ME that the MEB3 don’t serve (TK has a bigger footprint there), I don’t see how this is compelling for big W European cities (London, Manchester, AMS, FRA, etc.) that have several 1 stop hops to Oz, I mean MEL already.

And from what I’ve heard from others who’ve flown TK (I haven’t, yet) – their J class isn’t that all that compelling compared to the MEB3’s, CX’s or SQ’s (that ply the Kangaroo route), and that the new airport at IST isn’t easy to navigate, and a lot of walking needed (for folks with leg/knee issues).

1 user thanked author for this post.

TGRW
    Participant

Having flown TK J class on the 787 and the two different configuration A350’s from Singapore to South America recently, I found the ex Aeroflot A350 to be a better product. There is more room and storage on the ex Aeroflot A350’s. I had problems getting comfortable and sleeping on TK own A350, very narrow.

The 787 is the same seat as SQ 787 that is used on regional flights in Asia, which i find very narrow and uncomfortable.

The TK flight from Mel, leaves very early from Singapore at 04:30 Singapore time,

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reported today in Turkey that the first TK MEL flight will now take place on March 1.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Ticket sales must be good if they’re bringing the launch forward. Then again, giving TK’s massive network they shouldn’t have big problems filling up a plane thrice weekly.

For the Miles&More members among us; i see lots of availability for reward flights on TK to and from MEL.

cwoodward
    Participant

Someone is going to loose a considerable amount of traffic given the number of flights that TK is proposing to run from AU; assuming that they fill them which is not a given and much of it on the AU – Singapore leg as TK are likely to need to pitch their Singapore fares lower than Qantas and SIA.

The number of Turkish 1st and second generation people making AU home is not vast at maximum 100k and probably a little less. There is though a floating population that ‘winters’ in Australia staying with relatives.
    The ME airlines as well as Qantas are likely to suffer a loss of traffic however CX who have no routes to Turkey are unlikely to suffer much loss however Turkish do fly daily into HK from Istanbul.

I have a suspicion that Turkish may be over egging the pudding with the number of flights that they propose putting into AU given the relatively small Turkish population. Also given the distances involved, that Turkey is a largely unknown destination it is costly. holiday for Australian holidaymakers 9particularly families) to select when most parts of Asia are much closer, well known and much cheaper

TominScotland
    Participant

The initial launch is clearly a place-maker or loss leader for the non-stop IST- Australia flights that they plan will follow, subject to Airbus delivery schedules. Given the wide range of routes that TK fly in Europe (far more than the ME carriers or SQ/ CX for that matter), it will then all depend on scheduling and how long transit times are in Istanbul. One-stop Europe – Australia is the real market for this routing not the Turkish diaspora in Australia.

Incidentally, visiting Gallipoli is still on the bucket list for many Australians so a direct flight would certainly be a good launchpad to Europe for them.

tomyam42
    Participant

I am neither Turkish nor Australian but am looking at using TK to get from MNL to TBS as all the ME airlines seem to use 737MAX for the second leg whereas TK uses an A320 at least once each day. Provided they avoid the MAX they may be attractive for many others who need to change planes en route.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TK’s inaugural flight to Melbourne has now taken place.

At the media briefing TK’s chairman Ahmet Bolat said his airline plans to start Istanbul-Sydney flights by the end of 2024.

There would be x4 flights a week and these are expected to stop en route in Singapore.

Changes are possible.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls