Turkish airlines – I just don’t get it

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Seasonedtraveller,

I am also Eurobonus and had the same problem with points getting credited every time I flew TK. If i remember correctly, I got the SK service centre to follow up the missing points, rather than TK. I always got them credited correctly. Eventually….

Cheers. Simon

ASK1945
    Participant

maxgeorge wrote:

“I sometimes think that there’s a little of the vitriol that some people direct at Mr Erdogan ricocheting onto the airline instead.”

Eh? What’s he got to do with the service provided by Turkish Airlines?

SimonRowberry
    Participant

ASK1945
    +1

maxgeorge
    Participant

Nothing whatsoever.

But sometimes a politician is taken as symbolic of everything a nation represents. A cursory study of recent media coverage of Russia, particularly in the US, for example : Putin BAD, therefore anything Russian must be bad, too.

That pompous buffoon Sen. McCain has been suggesting a boycott of Stolichnaya.

Talk about cutting off your own nose…!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

maxgeorge

Indeed. I’m intrigued about the lack of alcohol. Does this also apply to the CIP Lounge (or whatever it’s called now) at IST?

I must admit to be being pretty PO’d at how poor TK are. If they were better (i.e. Safe) they would be a perfect choice for me to get from BHX to places I do business, such as Baku and Tblisi. Instead, I now use Lufty at about twice the price.

Cheers. Simon

maxgeorge
    Participant

Hello, Simon. Always interesting posts, yours and Mr. Sinclair’s.

No, thank god. Unlimited alcohol of almost every type in the huge new CIP lounge, though the only beer I can find is the execrable Efes.

Not sure about the Arrivals lounge, but they do have splendid coffee, and a Jobsworth on hand to serve it to you.

It’s the Domestic Lounge, over in the other Terminal, that was dry.

Cheers!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

SimonR.
    Thanks for the info. Sadly I already passed this over to SAS. I hold the new Diamond status with them but TK tell them the flight was not eligible for points?? No other explanation.
    I simply can’t be bothered to even try….
    Cheers
    John – ST

TominScotland
    Participant

Just come off two TK flights – Edinburgh > Istanbul > Ankara – and have to say that the overall experience was good. Immaculate, new aircraft (737-800s) and generally friendly and helpful service. Legroom was good, even behind the curtain.

I have an Aegean Gold card, courtesy of a bmi status match, which, amazingly is still valid even though this is the first time I used it. Fully recognised throughout – used the revamped Servisair Lounge in Edinburgh, a reasonable improvement and the excellent TK Domestic Lounge in Istanbul. I love the direct access to the Lounge with its own security, avoiding the general queue. Then, to top it, the dedicated bus transfer to the aircraft without having to go the main gate.

TK served a very passable meal on the international leg in Economy – a tasty beef stew with rice – and, had I wanted it, an elaborate snack on the 40 minutes domestic hop.

TK do rather like their buses, through……

Hope I am not tempting fate for Friday’s return flights!! I will report in.

TominScotland
    Participant

Return trip from Ankara to Edinburgh was fine as well, my gripes are outwit the airline’s control – bussing and the generally heaving nature of Istanbul Airport – queues, queues, queues. Certainly a Dubai in the making! Turkish seem to be doing very well with their hub strategy, slightly different from the Gulf in that they do offer a really wide range of medium/ short-haul international connections.

The TK International Lounge is impressive – too big for my liking but well sectioned into smaller areas and seems to offer a wide range of very different (and fresh) food options.

In the air, on both legs (domestic and international), TK were fine. Engaged cabin crew and excellent catering for the type of flights. Arrived early both times.

Luckily, I did not have to test TK when things go wrong – that does seem to be the issue!!

goalie11
    Participant

Tom

Do the new 800s have proper medium haul business seating in 2-2?

I liked using Turkish from EDI but stopped using them as they continually put on 800s with normal economy seating with the middle seat free in business. The 900s they use sometimes are good as they are business seats.

Jetlagonboard427
    Participant

Same here, but from DXB. Service was shocking and on the way back, we were delayed 4 hours due to the engine failure on IST runways, no compensation and not even a sorry spoken

TominScotland
    Participant

goalie11, I was on two -800’s, one -900 and a 320, all with 2-2 Business class which looked good (I was behind the curtain).

goalie11
    Participant

Thanks Tom, I may change back then, or at least until Etihad start flying from EDI.

onajetplane
    Participant

Today may have been my worst flight with them yet. AGP – IST – the passenger in front of me had a dog with them. Not a dog for the visually impaired. But a small yappy little dog. Which proceeded to crawl over my feet from under the seat, cause serious distress to many other passengers and barked the ENTIRE flight. The flight attendants didn’t know what to do. It almost descended into a brawl when some of the irate passengers in front started to yell at the owner.

And then turkish pulled us into a gate which left us in the upstairs departure hall. Which is almost impossible to navigate back downstairs just to clear passport. Knowing the airport well, I was one of the first down to the security gate. The guard was refusing to let me through saying I needed a connecting boarding pass. He could not understand why I wanted to leave the airport.

And timed to perfection, the bags took 55minutes to come off the plane.

There is so much potential here but they just get it so wrong so often!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

OJP
    It’s simple. TK are utter rubbish. They have put my life at risk on at least one occasion. They become aggressive when challenged. Look at my previous detailed posts on their behaviour. They are a (dangerous) joke of an airline who do not deserve to be in Star Alliance.

Sorry but I cannot imagine a topic I feel stronger about. On the day they had a fatal crash at AMS, they were so incompetent that they couldn’t carry out basic safety procedures on my flight. And then ejected me from the lounge when I asked to speak to somone about it…..

An utter disgrace to aviation. Yes, “the food may me good” as some idiot on here responded to me….

Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls