TSA approved padlocks

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

PaulBenscher2
    Participant

Just flown LHR EWR ATL MEX EWR LHR. I have used TSA approved padlock allways , but this trip was to prove what we all think of the TSA?? At EWR they cut of the padlocks, opened a limited edition malt scotch and damaged the display box and lid , WHY. On my return to EWR they then cut the tabs this time on the zip to open one of my cases, now making the bag useless as it now cannot be locked. I know the locks where working as I run a lock company.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sadly they just don’t care Paul. You can’t sue them. They’ll offer no compensation or even an apology. Your only hope is the insurance company or maybe the airline?

1nfrequent
    Participant

This happened to a friend of mine and she ended up having to claim on her travel insurance. It’s not the fault of the airline because they’re not in control of it (although if it happens due to a baggage handler tampering with it, then absolutely go for the airline).

1F

Ricardo747
    Participant

I suffered the same fate last week when the TSA levered open my Rimowa aluminum case, breaking both locks and warping the frame- which must have taken some effort. This was despite the case having in-built TSA locks. Either they are too idle to use the keys or just malicious, neither of which fill me with much confidence given they are charged with safeguaring US airports.

Of course you have no recourse agsinst them, just to use your travel insurance.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

When I travel I no longer bother locking the case. The locks are so easy to open any thief can get in anyway. But at least if security want to look inside they don’t need to break in!

canucklad
    Participant

Perhaps the TSA gamekeepers need to employ some poachers from LHR,JNB or NBO

Another reason why I avoid the States nowadays

BigDog.
    Participant

Meanwhile in the UK

Although .. “The power to examine passenger’s bags without their knowledge requires authorisation and justification. It is an intrusive power, but one that is necessary to protect UK border security,’

authorisation is not always sought/obtained.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2596433/Airport-luggage-spies-How-officials-rummaging-bags-without-telling-you.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls