Trouble in’t Mixed Fleet mill

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)

• nmh1204
    Participant

Barista wages range from £11,000 to 16,000, but they do not have privileges like flight crew.

SimonS1
    Participant

Hauptmann – seems I touched a raw nerve?

I rechecked my post and can’t see I expressed a view either way.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Hauptmann – 22/06/2014 19:33 GMT

Oh dear, I hope this is not another incarnation of Krug and all his other handles. There are things in the post (first post of the poster) that sound so like him.

BigDog.
    Participant

@Xuluman – 22/06/2014 20:07 GMT ..Cabin Crew should not be paid less than a barrister at Starbucks.

Oh dear Xuluman, you started off making a cogent case then blew it.

I doubt if Starbucks employs a barrister directly – though they may engage one wrt their tax affairs as IMissConcorde notes.

A Barista prepares coffee. Try to maintain standards old chap.

batterytraveller
    Participant

The. UK average salary is £26,500 with the london rate much higher. The london living wage should be around £18,300. If cabin crew are relying on tax credits to make ends meet that is deeply troubling. The fact that BA are making profits for shareholders and executives whilst not paying their staff adequately and receiving an effective government subsidy is utterly scandalous.

I’ve no problem with companies making profits for their investors, it’s the whole purpose of business but it shouldn’t be at the expense of fair and decent pay and conditions for the people who do the work. In my experience a workforce that doesn’t have to worry about making it from pay heck to paycheck is going to be much more content and customer focused, and above all, much more motivated to provide excellent service.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

CXDiamond – 22/06/2014 21:12 GMT : Hauptmann – 22/06/2014 19:33 GMT. Oh dear, I hope this is not another incarnation of Krug and all his other handles. There are things in the post (first post of the poster) that sound so like him.

Well, if it is the SergeantMajor, I see he promoted himself…

But Hauptmann? That would be an odd choice for someone who was so relentlessly pro-British

TominScotland
    Participant

While I personally think that £12,000 (if correct) is scandalous as a ‘living wage’, I am astounded at the moral indignation of those who comment on this wage here. It is only a couple of months since some people had the nerve to comment critically on Qatar’s approach to HR and, as the thread shows (http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/QR-the-price-of-5-star-service) were rapidly put back into their boxes by the “if they don’t like it, should not have taken the job” brigade!!

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Hauptmann
    Your comment at 19:33 GMT was as always …….interesting
    I’m assuming you watched the “critically not acclaimed “documentary “a very British airline” .
    The first two episodes gave us quite a few snapshots of mixed fleet cabin crew going through their training.
    A simple couple of questions for you to consider……..Does the salary correlate with what BA management expects of these people, after all ,our safety is in their hands ?
    And would you be happy to work under their conditions for this wage?
    I’d add, that as a taxpayer I didn’t consider that I’m subsidising BA as well as forking out for fares normally higher than their competitors!

Edited to add…..”people want the cachet of working for one of the world’s best airlines on their c.v.’s, it will be great for their future careers” su8ggests that BA actually isn’t interested in retaining staff, which sounds not to dissimilar to a LCC operation within IAG! I presume the beneficiaries of BA’s excellent CC training program will be their competitors who still believe that being cabin crew is not just a job.

£12,000 = JOB not career and definitely not a profession !

mkcol74
    Participant

“nmh1204 – 22/06/2014 19:59 GMT

£12,000 is more than the average worker earns. I don’t see the problem, or a need to strike.”

I’m not sure which country you’re in nmh1204 but it’s certainly not the UK in 2014, as you’ll see the average annual earnings in 2013 was £26,884.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/ashe/annual-survey-of-hours-and-earnings/2013-provisional-results/info-ashe-2013.html

SimonS1
    Participant

Obviously working hours vary but a 35 hour working week (which I believe is the average worked) x 52 weeks a year x the national minimum wage of £6.31 = £11,484 a year, So BA is generously paying about 5% more than the minimum wage.

As far as £12,000 being more than the average worker earns I would suggest nmh1204 does some further research. Then again this forum does have a record of posters who don’t have a scooby what they are talking about.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG – 23/06/2014 05:33 GMT

Ian, I take your point but there is nothing particularly British about Vintage Krug either!

nmh1204
    Participant

mkcol, I was going by a recent article on the BBC which said, after tax, the average wage is under £8,000.

I presume the ONS provides the mean value, I was going by the modal value.

Simon, no need to be rude. I was going by statistics I found which equates to most workers being on minimum wage. or slightly higher

mkcol74
    Participant

Interesting nmh1204 – perhaps you could cite that BBC article so we can understand better.

nmh1204
    Participant

this article showed up on the home page a few days ago, and I didn’t notice the date said 2011 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13633966
    I also read somewhere that between 50 and 60% of people earn less than £12,000 after tax

my apologies for getting it wrong.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

nmh1204,

I think you’ve misunderstood the article, I don’t see how you got your £12,000 figure. The only way I can see how is to take the average of the 5th & 6th deciles to arrive at an estimate of the median disposable income (i.e. after tax) for a household which is £22,200. Since this is household income, to arrive at the estimate for individuals you have to divide by the average number of working adults per household which is definitely less than 2.

In reality, it is much better to use the ONS figures directly rather than this article. I would be happy to find these for you once I have some time.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls