Trip on the Orient Express

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

Overview

The train inaugurated in 1883 by the Belgian entrepreneur Georges Nagelmackers has become the most famous in the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/rail-journeys/The-Orient-Express-Great-Train-Journeys/

Ekond222
    Participant

…Here’s a ‘similar’ travelogue from the Daily Telegraph (2013)…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/rail-journeys/The-Orient-Express-Great-Train-Journeys/

5 users thanked author for this post.

icenspice
    Participant

Very similar indeed ?

I did in fact wonder about the style of writing.

Poor show.

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Quelle honte.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Whoever wrote it I found it fascinating and reminded me it’s a journey I want to take.

As a boy I used to take the original “Orient Express” from Calais to Lausanne as that was the route it used to take and then carried on to Italy and finally ended in Istanbul, though I never went beyond Lausanne with it, and it was not the luxurious train we see today though it did have the Thomas Cook Wagons Lit, which I loved*.

* Do they still exist?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

call me old fashioned OR even modern, but paying that sort of money, I would expect my own shower and WC!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

May I suggest that Charles P removes the article text and replaces it with a link to the Telegraph, unless he owns the IP or has some other arrangement with their syndication department, to avoid any potential issues for BT?

I’ll flag the post for BT, so they can have a look, too.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MrMichael
    Participant

James Sherwood, a name from my past. He also took over Sealink from British Rail and then a few years later sold it on to Stena of Sweden. A very astute businessman who I had a lot of time for, quite a visionary in his day.

esselle
    Participant

Sherwood was indeed a visionary, whose legacy lives on in what is now a swanky hotel on the southbank where his HQ was once based. Sadly this fact does not alter the somewhat suspect provenance of the OP’s posting.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I meet Sherwood every year for lunch as we both stay at the same hotel. He is a fascinating character and very interesting to chat to.

MrMichael
    Participant

What I recall about James Sherwood is related to The Orient Express. Once he started the rail service he then bought a cruise ferry from DFDS, did it up a bit, renamed it Orient Express and started a service (coinciding with the train) from Venice to Istanbul. I remember being advising against using the Sealink Logo on it (the rings). It was a short lived venture that I think cost JS a few bob, but certainly not enough to harm him. The good thing about JS as I am sure LP will testify, he tried something, if it did not pan out quickly he got out quickly.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=734124]The good thing about JS as I am sure LP will testify, he tried something, if it did not pan out quickly he got out quickly.

[/quote]

Spot on MrMichael.

Charles-P
    Participant

Looks like my cut and paste skills are not what they were post retirement 🙂 There should have been an opening paragraph to this post which read as follows,

“My wife and I are currently considering a trip on the Orient Express and while looking for reviews I came across this on the Daily Telegraph travel website that I thought might interest readers here. Has anybody else been on the service or could add further information”

Regards
    Charles.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls