Travelling to Myanmar (Burma)

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Bearing in mind that the BT Forum is visited by some of the most travelled and travel savvy people in the world, I’d like to solicit some opinions and advice for a forthcoming trip to Burma (Myanmar) in mid-December through into early January.

Flights are sorted and I’ve availed ourselves of an excellent deal in J with CX from AMS-HKG-BKK (& return) and then onto Bangkok Airlines: BKK-RGN/MDL-BKK. Courtesy of FT, I’m wised up on joining the PGFF programme to avail of 30kg in Y.

Thereafter, any recommendations for places to stay, visit, means of getting around? The man at seat 61 has a wealth of information about Burmese trains, Snr Mgt has already started looking up places to stay and yes, I am aware that there is a General Election taking place in November 2015 – with the very real possibility of some political turbulence thereafter.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

icenspice
    Participant

I haven’t been Anthony. In fact, I don’t know anyone that has. So, all I can suggest is to pack a copy of ‘Burmese Days’.

Happy planning to you and Snr Mgt.

SuperVC10
    Participant

I’m travelling to Burma as well, this coming January. I’m considering EVA Air from Amsterdam to Bangkok in Premium Economy… Any advice would be appreciated.

TominScotland
    Participant

I have spent a good amount of time in Myanmar (working) and came away with an equal degree of delight and frustration!! The people, generally, are wonderful and eager to engage, officialdom is old style, heavy handed and totally disinterested, nay suspicious of visitors.

Anthony, the country is only slowly gearing itself up to tourism and independent travel requires some patience and fortitude as things do go wrong. I remember one flight, sold as non-stop between Yangon and Heho (for Inle Lake) stopped three times en route without any explanation. If you head for Inle, do visit the Red Mountain Estate Winery.

Hotel food is generally poor and over priced so do get out there (especially in Yangon and Mandalay) and find local restaurants where the fare is far more interesting, sometimes even better!! If you get the chance, visit the capital, Naypyidaw for a truly surreal experience – empty 10 lane hlghways, massive government buildings in the middle of nowhere – its half way between Yangon and Mandalay so worth driving in if you are on the main highway north. Plenty of temples (especially Bagan).

Things are changing fast, not always in the direction of improvement but Burma is certainly worth visiting and enjoying before some of the areas are totally spoilt – both Inle and Mandalay are slated to ‘host’ massive hotel zones with over 80 properties in each!!

The country is very safe at a personal level but don’t forget that some parts are still off-limits to foreigners for security reasons..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls