Travelling to Italy

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Danieljs
    Participant

I am planning a trip to northern Italy in December/January flying economy. I was considering the A380 run from Sydney to Frankfurt via Singapore with SQ and LH however i wouldn’t mind trying something different. My preferences lie with star alliance and im open to opinions of which airports to fly to. Milan and Venice may offer some more direct flights however Verona is more convenient. I have priced flights with SQ and LH however LH is always much cheaper than SQ. So i would like suggestions as to airlines and airports!

Swissdiver
    Participant

If you’re on holidays, you could also consider flying to Zurich and ride the train across the Alps (www.rail.ch gives you the train schedules and price in Switzerland and in Europe). Zurich Airport station is called “Zurich Flughafen”. Swiss (LX) is a Star Alliance member.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

TG fly to Milan.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m with Swissdiver on this one. It’s a great train ride of four hours to Milan with direct (Swiss Rail) trains running through to Verona and Venice if that is your ultimate destination.

Otherwise the onward connection to Milan Malpensa with Swiss will only add about chf 50 to the fare (and often it costs nothing) with the advantage you enter Schengen in Switzerland rather than Italy where the queues can be horrendous if the your arrival flight coincides with those from the Middle East, US etc.

From the airport you have buses to the Central Station where you can take the train onwards, or if planning to stay in Milan a day or two there is a direct train from the airport to Milan, near the big hotels, but not the Central Station which is then a 10 minute cab ride away.

Have a look here:
    http://www.comoguide.com/milan-airport.html

Do not overlook Lugano. It’s a great place, 1 hour by train to Milan with 5* hotels at least 30% less than those in Milan. depending on your plans it’s worth considering, with the bonus Lugano is warmer in winter due to it’s sub-tropical micro climate than Milan!

Danieljs
    Participant

Well for most of the time if will be staying with my friend in Trento, however the idea of travelling by train from Zurich sounds promising. But is it complicated to negotiate through customs and getting to the train station if i am travelling alone, since i am only 17?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not at all. After you clear immigration you follow the exit Zurich signs, and then follow the signs to the Railway which is in the same building underground.

You can buy your train ticket in advance online if you have a credit card, or else at the ticket office or automatic booths which are also in English and are very efficient and take most credit and debit cards.

You’ll most likely have to change trains at Zurich HB (central station) but again this is painless. SBB have a very handy app for iPhone, Android etc which can be accessed free of charge at Zurich airport and gives times etc for the Swiss and Italian railways.

My son first did this journey by himself from Lugano (which is on the Milan – Zurich line) to the airport when he was just 14 so you will not have any problems at all.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PS. It’s worth asking the Swiss tourist office or embassy if there are any special tickets for the Swiss transit part. It may also be on the website. This could save you a bit of money which can be more usefully spent in the great bars and restaurants of Italy!!!

transtraxman
    Participant

Lugano Pirate
    I think you have just put your foot in it.
    Danieljs has asked for travel advice which you and Swissdiver have answered.
    HOWEVER, when you talk about the savings to spend in BARS as well as restaurants just as Danieljs says he /she is only 17 means you have taken your eye off the ball.
    One should not promote drinking for youngsters, especially if they are underage – well, I am sure that it was not intended.
    Good wishes

Swissdiver
    Participant

transtraxman: I know this could be quite a shocking news, but non-alcoholic beverages are available in bars as well…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Transtraxman, you’re right of course and I’m suitably chastised.

I was having a nostalgic moment remembering my youth, all those years ago, when you could have a drink in Italy at 16.

I think you can still drink a beer or wine legally at 16 in Italy though as you can in many other European countries.

I take the point and I’m sure Danieljs will be wise enough to only drink “Aqua Minerale” on his travels ;-))

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls