Travel insurance for cancer sufferers

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I would just like to say that I feel positively overwhelmed by the kind thoughts and extremely helpful suggestions which you have given me. Some have also followed up with direct messages and I now have quite a bit to work on. This has not been a good year so far but the messages and the kindness that people have shown have really touched me.

At the risk of sounding mawkish or overly sentimental, this episode has taught me one thing which is to ensure that your nearest and dearest know just how much they matter to you and it’s never too late to let them know (and keep letting them know).

Safe travels.

7 users thanked author for this post.

travelworld2
    Participant

I’ve got nothing further to add to this apart from my very best wishes to the OP and his other half. As a former sufferer myself, fortunately now cancer free for five years, I can understand what both are going through. I hope that the trial is very successful.

This also goes to show how helpful and informative this forum can be when we aren’t getting excited about the size of the cheese plate in business class…

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I would like to add something to this very poignant, relevant and useful thread, with thanks to all who have contributed.

Many years ago (about 40) I was diagnosed at Groote Schuur Hospital in CPT with a totally asymptomatic blood/bone marrow condition which has until recently been controlled, but is developing into something more serious and for which I am under treatment. The dreaded ‘pre-existing condition’.

I have battled to get insurance to cover anything which the insurers call ‘directly or indirectly related’ to this condition, which pretty neatly covers anything depending on how they might choose to interpret it. Perhaps being eaten by a lion or run over by a bus would be covered, but they could relate just about any medical or health problem to the condition.

I have been in touch with All Clear and Insurance With but neither of them can cover me as I have not been continuously resident in the UK for the last 6 months. They put me in touch with BIBA (British Insurance Brokers’ Association) on 0370 950 1790 or 0207 397 0200 where I spoke to a very knowledgeable and helpful chap who after consultation put me in touch with Global Voyager ……. the company with whom I am currently insured.

Whilst I can of course act as my own insurer for the pre-existing condition, this is a risk I would prefer not to take. A bit of a problem.

Good luck to all who are facing illness and insurance problems.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=950519]neither of them can cover me as I have not been continuously resident in the UK for the last 6 months.[/quote]

Without teaching anyone’s ‘grandma to suck eggs’ there will always be residency issues for travel insurance as the risk being covered is when you travel from your country of residence and back, hence the requirement for proof of travel via air tickets for a claim to be successful.

One other area of research worth undertaking in the context of this thread, is if you are fortunate enough to be covered by Private Medical Insurance. I know there are some private medical policies available for ex-pats in Asia, where the travel insurance and private medical cover is bundled together, so if you have cover for a pre existing issue on teh PMI, it may well be covered for travel …. I am not sure whether this is available in Europe or the UK, (or S Africa), but if you do have PMI, it may be worth speaking to the firm who covers you.

3 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=950524]

neither of them can cover me as I have not been continuously resident in the UK for the last 6 months.

Without teaching anyone’s ‘grandma to suck eggs’ there will always be residency issues for travel insurance as the risk being covered is when you travel from your country of residence and back, hence the requirement for proof of travel via air tickets for a claim to be successful.

One other area of research worth undertaking in the context of this thread, is if you are fortunate enough to be covered by Private Medical Insurance. I know there are some private medical policies available for ex-pats in Asia, where the travel insurance and private medical cover is bundled together, so if you have cover for a pre existing issue on teh PMI, it may well be covered for travel …. I am not sure whether this is available in Europe or the UK, (or S Africa), but if you do have PMI, it may be worth speaking to the firm who covers you.[/quote]

Thats absolutely right Martyn, my PMI covers me for health issues in my home country (Singapore) and for any travel related issues that happen whilst in the course of my work and I have an extension policy from the same provider for my husband for all our travel related insurances…

capetonianm
    Participant

Whilst searching on line, I found this company which covers pre-existing conditions, but alas only for UK residents.
    https://www.holidayrisk.com/

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

A salutary tale. The father of a friend is on holiday in Canada. He is 80, and had a mild heart attack and is now in hospital there. Of course he’s smart enough not to travel without insurance, and he arranged his insurance before travelling. Tragically, because medical cover was ‘too expensive’ he excluded that from the policy.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=950783]Whilst searching on line, I found this company which covers pre-existing conditions, but alas only for UK residents.

https://www.holidayrisk.com/[/quote]

@Capetonianm
    Thank you for sharing that link. I was an altruistic living kidney donor ~7 weeks ago. I thought I’d best check with my annual insurer. Despite being perfectly healthy beforehand (obviously, otherwise they wouldn’t have cut me open) and still being perfectly healthy the insurer wants an extra £150 odd to cover me.
    Part of me understands that they have to cover potential risk, however I’d argue all risk has been mitigated. I’d be interested to know how many times they’ve had to pay out for someone who has claimed following the same procedure, as that would help me rationalise the premium requested.
    So I shall check out this company you have suggested & see how they fare against my existing one – either way I will pay up & be fully covered, it just catches the craw somewhat.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi all,

I have just come across this thread and also express my sympathies and best wishes to all affected.

I also have a “pre-existing condition” (or five). I have basically given up on getting any form of health insurance at all when I travel, and this limits the countries I visit. In the spirit of transparency others have given, these conditions include hypertension, type 2 diabetes, recovery from recent prostate cancer treatment, two bouts of pancreatitis, one myocardial infarction (and a partidge in a pear tree). I am therefore basically uninsurable, despite the fact that everything is either a long time ago, in remission or totally under control through medication.

I now rely wholly on the EHIC and limit myself entirely to countries within Europe. Come 31st October, it looks like my travels will be limited solely to these shores. A massive pity.

Simon

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=954955] …..I now rely wholly on the EHIC and limit myself entirely to countries within Europe. Come 31st October, it looks like my travels will be limited solely to these shores. A massive pity. Simon[/quote]

A massive pity indeed, Simon, and really sorry to hear about that.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have just managed to get insurance with Staysure Expat.
    Very helpful and professional to deal with.

kaye
    Participant

Try Insurancewith.com

I have Stage 4 Cancer and can obtain/have purchased Worldwide Insurance Excluding Cruises and Mexico

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls