Transferring in Dallas DFW

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

dutchyankee
    Participant

As some of you know, I travel regularly from my homes in Holland and Belgium to Florida to assist my ailing mom. I fly, almost exclusively, AMS-LGW-MCO and back with BA (once flew with VS to/from LGW). As I have now purchased a new home for my mom on the coast about 50KM south of Jacksonville, I will be flying either AMS or BRU to LHR, LHR-DFW, and then connecting to AA operated flights from DFW to JAX. It has been over 20 years since I have flown to DFW, can anyone tell me how it ranks for ease of transfer from International to Domestic. As I will be doing this route almost every 7 to 8 weeks I want to be sure DFW is a good bet as the other option is via MIA which I really would prefer to avoid. I likewise prefer to continue flying with BA and oneworld. Any advice would be appreciated.

stevescoots
    Participant

its one of the easiest ports to transfer, they have the monorail/suttle train thingy thats goes round and round, drops you strait into teh terminal of choice. I have used it twice this year doing the houston-dallas-london flight

IanFromHKG
    Participant

While transferring your person between terminals is very easy, you should be aware that you will need to recheck your bags in Dallas, as it is your first point of entry into the United States. You will also have to clear immigration. While this isn’t a particularly difficult process, it can be very time-consuming since the queues can become very long if there are a number of flights arriving at the same time. On a previous occasion, I had a two and three-quarter hour layover but had to run to connect to my onward flight. Another poster has had a similar experience. So, I would strongly advise that you leave adequate connection time between your flights.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Thanks Steve and Ian, sounds like I chose the best option by doing DFW versus MIA. Ian, without wanting to ask your nationality as I realise that is none of my business, however, was the queue the same in both the US passport holders and Foreign passport lines? I ask as I always enter the USA on my US passport (I must as required by law for dual nationals), so I imagine and hope (perhaps in vain) that that will be slightly quicker at immigration. I have the best of both worlds this way as when I return to Europe I arrive on my EU passport (Dutch) and can use the EU lines.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

No problem, DY, I have new qualms about about disclosing that I am British! However, as a permanent resident of Hong Kong, I have an APEC Business Travel Card which allows me to use crew lanes in the US, so I can confirm that there are separate queues for immigration/customs. There is also a fast track for premium passengers or elites using AA (if you entitled to this privilege, your boarding pass will bear bold letters saying PRIORITY AACCESS). However, even these lanes can get clogged because there is no separate queue for the bag re-check. On my first trip, this wound back from the re-check area, back through customs/immigration, down the full length of the baggage carousels, and half-way along the side of the baggage hall. However, there are people who wander through to help identify those with tight connections and hasten their progress (although, of course, that just makes it worse for everyone else)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“as I always enter the USA on my US passport” – very wise choice DY. I have missed connections in many ports of entry into the US due to lines at immigration.

Communipaw
    Participant

DutchYankee…arrival in DFW is relatively painless…as is connecting to a domestic flight. As was previously mentioned, give youself enough connecting time to allow for baggage recheck…domestic security, transit to the connecting terminal and the like.

I’m curious, since you are going to Florida…wouldn’t Atlanta be a better point of entry for you?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Or Miami, or even (surprising as it may seem) Chicago? Looking at today’s flights:
    Via ORD 13h50m
    Via MIA 14h15m
    Via DFW 14h35m

I suspect dutchyankee is looking at DFW because the domestic flight is on an MD80 whereas the other connections are on an Embraer – but if you get a decent seat on the Embraer they aren’t too bad for a short flight. I just used an MD80 to go DFW-CLT in First and an RJ145 to go CLT-ORD in coach. In terms of comfort, the MD80 was definitely better, but not so much that I would necessarily avoid the Embraer next time round (so long as I got the exit row)

dutchyankee
    Participant

Thanks to everyone on here for your advice and tips.

@MartynSinclair, I fully understand what you mean with the lines. When I travel with my other half who is French, I am usually through very fast, but have already retrieved our luggage before she is even through passport control. At MCO where I used to continually fly into, it can be a real nightmare when BA, VS X2, arrive together. Makes having two passports a real bonus, and besides, I must enter the USA on the US passport by law.

@Communipaw, you are of course correct, Atlanta would be better as DL have much better options to JAX and DAB which are both convenient for mom’s new house, but I have sworn off of Delta, and prefer to keep to BA and OneWorld. Besides, Atlanta can likewise be a tough transit airport.

@Ian_from_HKG, you are absolutely right, at least the flight from DFW is on a main line fleet aircraft with first class seating. I am not what I would call fat, but I am rather tall, and find the RJ’s quite tight. Likewise, when looking I figured DFW would be the easiest transit point over ORD, and MIA (which is probably the worst airport to enter into I.M.H.O.) That said, on the way home the best connection is via MIA, but connecting to an International flight at MIA is a lot easier than from an international flight, so I will be on the RJ next Sunday, but that is only for 50 minutes.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I hear you, DY, I am 6’3″ myself and so on my trip last week I transferred via DFW on the way in to get on an MD80 in First but due to the timings left via ORD on an RJ145. As I said, I got the exit row seats on the RF145, and in terms of legroom I was actually perfectly fine, and had I chosen seat A (which is on its own, because they have a 1-2 configuration) all would have been well. Unfortunately, due to some misguidance from a seat guide site, I sat in the aisle seat on the other side so had a neighbour whose idea of travelling was to try, noisily and restlessly, to sleep all over me… Ah well…!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

DY – MCO is a regular destination for me. I have used in the past:

New York (including the great service from London City)
    Miami
    Washington
    Atlanta
    Toronto
    Boston

for the return to London, I have even flown as far as LA to return to London, benefit is I get a good nights sleep rather than a quick nap.

At 51, I am in no hurry travelling to Orlando (i have a home there). I allow 2 hours minimum for clearing immigration AND only buy through tickets, so if I am delayed with a line at immigration, no problem in changing the internal flight.

ps – I avoid the direct flights on BA and VS as the services provided by the airlines and crews are shoddy to say the least. They dont need to try as those routes are nearly always full and priced to make you feel the airline are doing you a favour allowing you to fly in peak periods.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi MartynSinclair,

Do you remember when at MCO you had to re-clear security checks before getting to the main Baggage Claim hall to re-claim your luggage. Now at least you go upstairs and when international arrivals come through they cordon off the area let us past to the trains, and then open up again to airside domestic passengers. MCO was really not planned for so much international traffic. BA used to be twice daily and for a while had 747’s on the route, VS can have three flights in at once (2 LGW and 1 MAN), LH is there now as well along with Latin American Carriers and the occassional KLM flight. Happy to not have to go through MCO again soon. We used to have our home/ranch in Ocala so MCO was easiest for us, but now as mom is ailing have decided to move to Palm Coast on the water, hence the use of JAX or DAB will make life easier and a much shorter drive than from MCO.

I, like you, am in no real hurry when I travel to the states, but prefer an airport experience that wont frustrate me the way MCO has done often in the past, so I will give DFW a try on Sunday, and then coming back via MIA next Sunday.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

the reason for re checking bags was so that pax wouldnt be tripping over cases on their way to the terminal. Mrs S, hated re checking bags, but it helped as they were delivered directly to the main terminal.

Naturally, I only travel with hand baggage.

One big plus with MCO is that you can pick up the hire car at either of the terminals, depending which is less busy!

dutchyankee
    Participant

Two good positives for MCO, and like you I travel with Hand Luggage, but the Mrs needs so much more stuff. Everything is in the house, but more is always brought with. The Car rental point is even more valid now that Hertz has also moved into the terminal. I always use Hertz, and they used to be off site until very recently. So I guess there are some positives to MCO, even the Delta lounge that BA uses has a certain southern charm and decor, and the staff especially at the bar are always very friendly!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls