Transfer experiences at Shanghai Pudong

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• BEYbrit
    Participant

Hoping the BT Hivemind can provide some info…

We are taking the Air China A350 service from Gatwick soon, transferring at Pudong onto Air China to Narita. We have three hours’ connection time.

General online chatter seems to be either « smooth and seamless » or « chaotic and you’ll need to reclaim bags and check in again ».

Does anyone have recent experience that might be able to help?

Tristan
    Participant

I have done a number of international transits at PVG and I don’t really recall any problems, certainly not a need to reclaim luggage. There used to be a passport check, a la SVO, but I believe that has been eliminated. There were decent food options and free wifi.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BEYbrit
    Participant

Well it turned out to be a great flight with a shoddy transfer at PVG. Apparently Air China doesn’t offer ‘checked through’ luggage at Shanghai. Had to get a 24hr visa, clear passports, collect luggage, clear customs then go upstairs and back through checkin and departures…

Oh well. I’m returning via PEK so all should be fine.

Robert Stevenson
    Participant

BEYbrit

Can you tell us a bit more about your experience on Air China please? How was the flight on the A350?

FFava22
    Participant

I am flying to Pudong Shanghai next summer with LH from Frankfurt and the transferring to HND with a Jal flight on same day. I’ve only hand luggage. Do I need to have a visa before departing from Europe? Same itinerary on return again with two separate ticktes.

Does anyone have recent experience that might be able to help?
    Many thanks.

BEYbrit
    Participant

We flew economy on the A350 and it was great. Good entertainment (up to date movies, big screen), good seat, good service – but the food was problematic . Being vegetarian meant we got exactly the same dish at each meal service – breakfast, lunch and dinner!

I would fly them again, but I would avoid a Shanghai transfer until they sort out their act.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls