Top FFP Members Taken For A Ride!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

MajdiAlAyed
    Participant

Anyone felt that frequent flyer programs are not really giving us the benefits we deserve if you are one of those frequent travelers that is already booked at the front of the plane?

I have a total of 7 frequent flyer memberships with various airlines (4 GOLD and 3 Silver) and to be honest the only benefit I get from any of them is the miles earned to then be spent on free flights.

I am blessed to always be booked in the premium cabin so the lounge access most airlines brag about offering their Gold/Silver members doesn’t really concern me. Neither does the extra 10/15/20 kgs of extra luggage because again I rarely use it.

With the exception of the guaranteed seat that Skywards (Emirates FFP) offers its Gold members , there aren’t really any benefits that strike me from any of the airlines.

Not sure if anyone actually feels the same.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Goodness, how many times and how many miles do you fly a year to get that level of membership with so many airlines? And indeed, what can the airlines offer you that you (or your employer) cannot afford anyway?

The truth is that for someone of your standing, the answers will always be bespoke. So it is up to you to ask for what you want. Perhaps a seat on the board or private meetings with the management might appeal to you, so they can hear the truth from a really frequent flyer. Perhaps you could ask them for life-time gold membership (there will come a time when you retire from paid employment, but I suspect you will want to go on flying gold class). Perhaps gold membership for a family member? Perhaps access to the VIP suites that some airports have?

The bottom line is that no, the airlines don’t offer much to super-gold members: in one sense, how can they, because you have most of what they offer (and even free flights are not a great draw to people who already fly too much!); and in another sense, why should they, as they have your business already.

Don’t forget, FFPs are marketing, to get the person who “quite often” chooses them to choose them more often still. Gold cards and status are a great incentive to those who are borderline silver/gold – but to you?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I take your point Cedric, and Majdi, it’s something I’ve often wondered myself. In my case I only have Gold with one alliance, Star, and I mostly fly F or C depending if night flight or not. I rarely use the extra baggage allowance and in any case would use the F lounge when booked.

I suppose the main advantage for me is lounge access and priority boarding when traveling Y which I do for short flights in Europe. Dedicated phone line so I can reserve my seats and highest priority if the flight is full with a guaranteed seat if booked 48 hours in advance.

Also better seats, such as exit rows are reserved for Gold members.

I have never once had an upgrade for free when flying Y in Europe but again priority is given if using miles or upgrade vouchers.

All in all there is some benefit and as the miles don’t expire, hopefully I can use them when I’m ready to put on the carpet slippers and bring out the pipe!

MajdiAlAyed
    Participant

Well Cedric & Lugano it’s great to hear from you but let me tell you because my post must have been slightly misunderstood. What I meant about in my post is that since airlines are spending millions of $ on research and development for their inflight services and infrastructure, they should think about spending a small fraction of this to see what “frequent travelers’ would really expect from an FFP. The main element is obviously the earning of miles and spending them but with the current crunch most airlines are facing, they are making it even more difficult to spend the miles.

Airlines should somehow look at the non-obvious perks or “surprises” that their loyal passengers would enjoy. To make my point even clearer, one of the airlines, who I will not name so that people don’t think I am favoring one over another ALWAYS addresses me by my name when boarding the plane and says “Thank you for your loyalty and for being a Gold Member of xxx” You see for those of us that spend more time on a plane than at home, these small non-monetary things can make all the difference because you then start feeling that you are really part of their loyalty program rather than just a person that is seated in 2A.

Maybe for those that are married and have children, airlines could send across a gift to their kids? Again a small thing that doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with on board perks.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

You are not going to get cross passenger agreement on the question you ask.

I earn miles for travel and I am happy for benefits to concentrate on redepmtion flights and upgrades.

My avios look after 90% of all my European travel – but the frustration remains with the lack of longhaul seats.

Lounge access is brilliant for me as I can work, free internet access and endless drinks and food.

All in all, I get as much value out of FFB as I take out. Always something there for me to benefit.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

For me., the baggage allowances and lounge access are an important perk, albeit the latter only when flying short-haul (since our long-haul travel is all in business) or when with the children, since the guest privileges are extremely useful. Mostly, however, it is the priority treatment when booking the long-haul upgrades, which is where we spend our miles. That really makes a huge difference to us, and is one of the reasons I try most strenuously to maintain my top-tier level with Cathay (something that seems to get harder each year!).

I do agree, though, that airlines should consider tailoring their offerings to top-tier members. Those who always fly premium may not be thrilled by lounge access, but perhaps if they were given a number of lounge passes to give to family members – even when flying separately – that would be an incentive? Personally I would love my older daughter to be able to use the lounge when she is flying alone, for example. Others might prefer some upgrade certificates (something that the US airlines seem to be much more geared towards), or baggage vouchers, or free limo transfers – there are many many options available. Alliance membership complicates things a little, I know, but I still think there is scope for some customisation here.

Bruce98
    Participant

I think Majdi makes some very good points.

I also have a couple of gold cards and several silver and find that the benefits on offer are either not applicable (as I am in a premium cabin on long haul flights) or practically do not mean anything, e.g. I don’t need 60kgs of baggage.

Miles can be useful, depending on the airline; e.g. I have just booked a one way long haul/connecting to short haul redemption in business with LH for 35,000 points and 199€, which I would class as great value.

On the other hand, I have not been able to find a long haul redemption or UuA on BA for over two years, although shorthaul is easier.

Senator
    Participant

I have been Miles & More Senator since 2000, and I have used many of the privileges tied to my status quite frequently:
    Companion Award for 50%
    Guaranteed Seats on fully-booked flights
    Request to release revenue seats to redemptions
    Extra bags (when moving from one country to another)
    Lounge Access
    Dedicated Customer Service Line

It it hard to generalise here I think. Some of the posters here are either in very senior positions and/or have accrued a fair amount of wealth that provide a degree of flexibility. I’ve been lucky with the type of jobs I’ve had either as individual contributor, or first level manager before I started my own consulting business. I buy the lowest priced Business/Club tickets, and look for any fare sale so I can enjoy this. Status privileges are however, important to me.

The redemption of miles I do the following:
    BAEC – if possible, upgrade CW tickets bought on sale to First and once a year, use the 2-for-1 voucher
    Miles & More – I bring a someone with me on a trip

MajdiAlAyed
    Participant

IAN_HKG your point on the lounge passes to be given to family members (even if flying separately) is the exact direction that I was talking about for airlines to begin exploring. There are certain features or benefits that airlines can offer which are not necessarily going to cost them a great deal of investment or cost to maintain.

This is the whole reason behind the post. Airlines must start looking beyond the traditional means of trying to retain their top-tier members.

NNoah16
    Participant

I completely agree with Majdi. I have been travelling frequently for the past 20 years, I have BA Gold, LH Senator, EK Gold, AirBerlin Gold and a few other Silvers. In the old days of plenty; when I used to travel in Premium Economy or Economy, the regular upgrades where the perks I wanted. Now, travelling in the front anyway, its only about the points and the recognition. Never used extra luggage or any other perks except the points, and as we all know, it is so difficult to redeem the points these days. As long as points dont expire, these programs will reach a point where so many people have so many points the the program implodes on itself and becomes worthless. Believe it or not, my favorite perk is with AirBerlin because with a Gold card, they keep the seat next to me empty! I know the airline Majdi refered to as greeting you by name, it does make a difference.

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

the best FFP aspect for me is BA EC family account. where we can all pool miles.

i so wish others like OnePass and FB did this too.

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

i also wish that one could interchange within an alliance. so i could but my 30k or less miles mixed up in alitalia and other skyteam member programmes into my FB.

this one i know is wishful thinking but it would be nice

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG

I have been asking BA EC for family passes for the lounges for years. It is very frustrating that the benefit of a BAEC gold card is “to invite one guest, any time”, not (say) “to invite 10 guests during the year”. Nearly all the time I am travelling alone, and the privilege of inviting a guest is worthless. On the rare occasions when Mrs S and the family come too – basically our annual long-haul holiday – I cannot invite them all into the lounge with me. Even on a Saturday morning when it is 90% empty. I have suggested lounge passes, or super-FFP recognition, or even entry for a small fee, but the answer is always “computer says no” and clearly it is not possible for the BAEC management to show this degree of flexibility in meeting customers’ legitimate needs.

Majdi

I apologise if I misunderstood you. It is also valid to ask though what the airlines want from the FFPs they run; and what I think you and indeed all of us are proving is that “satisfying the most frequent flyers’ needs” is not high on their list of priorities. This is a great shame but the way of the world I fear.

NNoah16
    Participant

British Airways have recently invited me to a very interesting site: http://www.britishairwaysfuturelab.com/ba

I usually dont have time to give direct feedback on products, new ideas, the future etc but this site (social network style) is really set up well and is quite exciting to use. I find that I am participating and enjoying it.

I am very impressed, quite an engaging site.

BA are trying to listen to their customers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls