Too Cosy? Overly Touchy Frankfurt Security Pat Downs

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

VintageKrug visits Frankfurt, after a hiatus of one year.

The security last time was somewhat “friendly” to say the least. But thinking no more of it, I didn’t want to make a fuss.

On my most recent trip, the same thing happened again. Definitely different security person.

Very much more than was necessary, and (being a proper BTer, with all my metals/belt/watch in my hand baggage) on both occasions the trigger was a “random” rather than a triggered bleep when passing through the scanner.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

pomerol
    Participant

VK

About 3 years ago when going through Security at LGW, without triggering the bleep, was subjected to a very friendly body search which could be more accurately discribed as a prolonged grope!

The Security Operative could see that I was getting a little distressed and said that, if I did not like it, I should go by car.

At the time, their was some controversy involving a Manager at Gatwick, who had been subjected to a similiar experience, and was taking Legal action, or had reported the incident to the Police.

I have been subjected to a Pat Down on a couple times since, without any problem.

Unfortunately, the security staff at our airports are quite low paid, not very well trained, our security leaves a lot to be desired, Professional it is not!

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Yeah you never see them referring to the back page of that statistics textbook with the tables of randomly generated numbers (or old ERNIE) in deciding which non-bleeping passengers to manually search. Selection of every n passengers for search, whether that includes or excludes those who trigger the bleep so then searched anyway, is not classed as truly random. And any system which involves human judgement, for example on the basis of appearance, gender, age etc, needs no explanation as a non-method of randomisation. A former colleague who used to work at T4 once said to me that n was 4.

Random is a word which like many these days I guess is abused or trivialised. I just remember to keep my mouth shut when they plant it on me, especially when it follows the words “just a”. I’d love to see the Director of R&D get selected!

VK, and only he, might just get away with asking them to “Describe the method of randomisation” – as customers of the UK Integrated Research Application System will savour. Maybe best save that one for the relative safety of T5 though my friend, not Frankfurt!

robsmith100
    Participant

VK – Out of curiosity, shouldn’t they have given you a going over with the wand, then sent you back through the metal detector before proceeding with the physical pat down?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I can’t remember back to the first time, but this time they went direct to pat down.

Most odd.

Potakas
    Participant

Gets more strange..

Bosses across Germany were thrilled to get the support they were hoping for in order to force female employees to wear undergarment.
    The State Labor Court which is in the most populous and influential state, was the one to decide that employers should have the right to decide whether or not female employees should adhere to certain rules on how to dress.

The ruling came in the most influential state in the entire country and mandated that supervisors of an airport security firm have the right to demand that their employees wear a white or skin-colored bra while they are working.

http://news.mwza.com/news/bosses-can-order-women-to-wear-bras-to-work/827/

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s just weird.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls