Tired of travelling?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• TiredOldHack
    Participant

Long-haul travel in comfort is still a pleasure for me. I like knowing that I’ve got maybe 15 hours ahead, during which I don’t need to worry about anything and I’ll be comfortable, well fed & watered and anything that goes wrong is simply not my problem.

If the flight is delayed, cancelled, or whatever, someone will take care of me and while it might cause hassle at one end or the other, someone else will be working on it, not me.

Short-haul flights are a necessary evil, though.

MrMichael
    Participant

TiredOldHack, love that response, nice one.

stevescoots
    Participant

not tired of long haul, except maybe the packing aspect. Got tired on short haul years ago and glad i dont have to do much of it now, maybe just 12 shorts in 2016

K1ngston
    Participant

Since relocating to Singapore from the Caribbean, most of my flights are now around the region and could be designated as short haul with the longest trip I have in my region is to Auckland which is nearly 11 hours.

I am sure its more stressful going short haul in Europe, as flying out of SG is very easy with minimal hassle, albeit some of the destinations I travel too, I cannot say the same thing coming back….

I also agree with TiredOldHack that allowing someone else to care for me on long haul is relaxing and as I get older I am learning how to sleep on planes ….

rodders
    Participant

Seasoned Traveller
    Like you I have been travelling on business for 30 years and am also 57. I returned from holiday on May 7th (MIA/LHR), and then on May 9th went LHR/DXB, returning on the 13th, and on the 15th started a 10 day RTW trip, covering Singapore, Brunei, Tokyo, Boston and London….
    sometimes too much of a good thing, and yes I don’t like short haul anymore, and routine visits to the same wear thin, so am beginning to think time to ease up, and travel to places that I want to explore, rather than yet another trip to Riyadh….
    safe travels

Charles-P
    Participant

Now that I am recently retired and my business travel has gone from lots to none almost overnight I can reflect on how I was feeling for the past few years.

Like others here I was always fortunate enough to fly Business or First for long haul which of course makes a massive difference to comfort, relaxation and sleep quality. European short haul is a very different matter and I was actively seeking out rail options where possible to avoid it.

Having been raised to understand that ‘manners maketh man’ I found the last ten years increasingly unpleasant as I saw more and more travelers with a feeling of ‘entitlement’ that was voiced in rudeness and selfish attitudes. This was mirrored in airport staff who seemed to find passengers an irritation and an inconvenience.

I have no solutions but I am glad that regular business travel is no longer a part of my life.

MrMichael
    Participant

Charles-P, did you also go to Winchester School?

Charles-P
    Participant

MrMichael – No I was educated during my formative years at Hilton College in KwaZulu Natal but the tradition was very similar.

BA744fan
    Participant

A job with a lot of international travel has always been my dream, but unfortunately has never happened. Still open to offers though if anyone doesn’t want to do it any more. Just saying!

TiredOldHack
    Participant

MrMichael – a true Wykehamist with have written it as ‘Manners makyth man’, anyway 😉

My school of learning’s motto was Deo Dante Dedi. I’m wondering how many posters here will not need to Google that….

CharlesP – I so agree with you about manners. Good manners cost nothing and enhance life, but it seems to be a convention now that rudeness is something to be admired.

EDIT – I was in KwaZulu Natal only two weeks ago.

Globalti
    Participant

Interesting thread, especially as I celebrated my 60th birthday last month (by staging a bike race for me and some cycling pals) and as expected, it turned out to be a pivotal moment. I am now waiting to see an IFA so as to work out the best retirement time and I can’t wait to retire to somewhere west-facing on a Scottish loch. Work has become increasingly onerous thanks to EU legislation, which means I am not qualified to do what I used to enjoy doing with a bit of talent and many years’ experience of what works. My major market is Nigeria, which has gone right down the toilet, taking away most of the daily challenge. Travel is increasingly stressful especially arriving at African airports where I need to apply for visas and I miss my family as badly as ever. On two-week trips I take zero exercise and eat and drink too much so end up putting on weight, which puts my competitive fitness back badly. On top of this my customers and agents don’t seem to learn and still ask the same stupid questions despite me having explained things to them fifty times. The South Africans are the laziest and the least ready to learn.

The up-side is that my boss leaves me completely alone to run my territories as I wish and does not object when I travel in business class or stay in reasonable hotels. On every trip there’s a night or two in a budget hotel up-country to balance the cost of the main city hotel. I still enjoy the people I meet and some of the countries I visit.

AsiaPacific
    Participant

SeasonedTraveller …. understand exactly how you feel .. after almost 20 years travelling – some weeks only at home for 6 weeks out of 52 , was so pleased to almost completely stop a few years ago … now its occasionally for work , short haul around Asia / down to Aust, with a few trips each year to EU/UK from here in Bangkok.
    Martin / Seasoned , you will have to chase me up next time you are here in BKK .. and we can catch up for a meal/ drink / chat …
    Thinking of all the souls still having to make the weekly / monthly longhauls and then work … there is another life , and I noticed how addictive it became … a ‘habit’ I have now fortunately kicked.

MickBettesworth
    Participant

Semi retired last year after 10 years of 50/60 flights a year. Now do the occasional long haul in Biz and some shorthaul in a mixture of club and econ.
    I still love longhaul travel in comfort but do appreciate not being so time constrained.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

This year I will top 200,000 miles the largest mileage figure ever. I have run my own business for 13 years based out of Singapore and as things have gone well now treat myself to Business Class. I think I have deserved it. My flights with Cathay over 30 years have been very good save the odd problem all resolved quickly. In the early days BA was up there but not now which is a sad affair. The other week I discovered how good Qatar were so I take comfort that these long haul journeys are enjoyable with great products and service. I was asked recently what I enjoyed most about running my own business. My answer was ” I can choose who I want to work for” and that makes long haul enjoyable

Elegant8
    Participant

I’ve flown since the early 80’s on many now ‘fallen flag’ airlines…
    Achieved MM and Elite status over the years..
    Based out of ORD in all my days of travel only missed one flight…
    Having just retired, I feel damned lucky to have done so before the idiotic ‘patriot’ Act took full control of our travels.
    Recent reports clearly evidence the boondoggle that it has become…
    A barely concealed attempt to FORCE the ‘kitties’ to PAY for ‘pre pass’ which failed miserably on its launch has backfired….but of course is not gruffly addressed….
    Now those of us that obtained this ‘enhancement’ through our airlines, will suffer the consequences of ‘kettles’ not knowing how to use this feature…
    GLAD to be relieved of the misery, just burned 500K on a bucket list or two and will take the dilapidated rail service within country.
    Best to those True Road Warriers that still must bear the brunt..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls