Tip for finding that BA Miles Club World flight to Asia

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

Hi. I recall a number of postings relating to the “ups and downs” of trying to redeem BA miles through the Executive Club. I have had some recent successes this year – back in April 2008, I was able to redeem miles for a LHR-BKK-SYD Club World ticket on the exact dates I wanted and also found a SIN to LHR return in Club.

More recently, I was trying to redeem a BA Amex companion voucher for 2 x Club World tickets LHR to SIN return…being a busy route, these seats are hard to find but recently when checking the BA site on a regular basis, I discovered whilst logging on at 2am GMT, the dates I wanted, showed up – late Nov to early Dec 2008….it appears BA’s revenue management team release seats on some form of ad hoc basis and I guess there are also pre-booked customers cancelling at the last minute….so moral of the story is, don’t be disappointed if your BA miles seats aren’t available atyour first attempt….as long as you’re willing to take a risk and wait until a few weeks before travel, there is a good chance the seats you need will appear…..

VintageKrug
    Participant

Great that you found the flight you wanted; I think it was just luck that you logged on a 2am and found what you want; there is no conspiracy to deny miles to all but the lightest sleepers!

You advice to regularly check back bears fruit; I will be recrediting a flight to the USA soon as my plans have changed and so these seats should return to award availability buckets, so the situation is dynamic exactly as you describe.

I think this is the thread you reference:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/loyalty-schemes-Do-they-Really-Care

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

Thanks VintageKrug – indeed thats the thread and I recall your comments. Hoping BA may consider dropping their surcharges soon, although £700 for 2 Club World returns to SIN still seems relatively good value.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is good value, and don’t forget you can start and finish your journey in mainland Europe on a Club Europe sector.

As BA hedges its fuel costs, it never really experienced the severe highs of oil this summer, and can take advantage of the current lower prices now.

Despite this hedging, fuel costs doubled.

I would therefore not expect much of a reduction in the fuel surcharge, especially against the background of a highly volatile global economy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls