Tiger Airlines in the news

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• hoangtu
    Participant

Singapore-based budget carrier Tiger Airways is contemplating a trans-Tasman service to take on existing players, as it moves to beef up its regional services within Australia.

Chief executive Tony Davis said that services from Australia to New Zealand were “on the radar”.

Mr Davis told the Australian Aviation Press Club on Thursday that Tiger would take delivery of two B419 aircraft towards the end of the year as it prepared to launch more services to regional destinations in Australia.

Edski777
    Participant

[quote quote=961649]take delivery of two B419 aircraft towards the end of the year[/quote]

Quite sure the aircraft type will be Airbus A319.

Anyway, a nice addition to regular trans-Tasman services.

cwoodward
    Participant

Tiger Airlines Australia is an Australian Pty company based at Building 166, 1-5 Grants Road, Melbourne Airport.
    A wholly owned subsidiary of Virgin Australia for the past several years.
    Both Tiger and Virgin are loss making and the trans tasman flight that has been tried several times previously with little success will probably aggravate the bottom line further
    For New Zealanders going to Tasmania is rather like going to New Zealand !

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Each time i go through Sydney or Melbourne, Tiger airways always have cancelled flights or substantially delayed flights.
    I nor any of my Australian friends / colleagues would not book with them, they really do not have a good reputation Down Under!

cwoodward
    Participant

I agree with MarcusGB – best avoided.
    As I recall the airline was at one time grounded for 6 weeks by the AU Civil Aviation Safety Authority for repeated (pilot) safety infringements – big news at the time.
    Later they had a pilots strike and last year trouble with the regulator re the safety of there aircraft – poor maintenance cited.
    Dont!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls