Tier Points on cancelled and rerouted BA flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• DNAdams
    Participant

I wonder if I may ask for advice please?

I was booked on a BA flight in CE LHR to Sofia on Saturday 9th December. If was part of a BA Holiday package including hotel for 3 nights. The flight was cancelled whilst we were waiting in the Cathay Lounge in T3 and about 1.5 hours before the flight time. Very annoying that it was so last minute.

We went straight to the T3 BA lounge and a helpful BA staff member on the front desk informed us the flight was cancelled due to bad weather. Anyway, there is only one daily BA flight to Sofia so no direct alternative same day and no direct flight the next day (Sunday). He swiftly rerouted us to Vienna on BA and then on to Sofia on Austrian Airlines from Vienna. We arrived in Sofia a 1am instead of 8pm and straight to bed with no dinner.

The Sofia flights are worth 80 tier points each way and clearly more Avios too. The LHR – VIE flight is 40 tier points and we cannot include the Austrian flight as they are Star Alliance.

Does anyone know if I can claim the extra 40 tier points and the missed Avios? Also, can I claim some compensation for the cancelled flight? Annoying we received a measly BA afternoon tea on the VIE lights as apposed to the full meal that we should have received on the SOF flight.

First world problems I know but any advice is appreciated as I don’t really want to miss out on the tier points.

Thank you.

btw – We were very grateful to the BA staff member in the lounge as he made it very easy for us and it seemed he allowed us to skip the queue which was rapidly growing behind us at the main desk in the lounge.

ExpatTraveller
    Participant

In my experience you can spend the next 6 months phoning, writing, faxing and emailing and the sum total of NOTHING will happen. Been dumped overnight at Copenhagen airport when the captain kept us on the plane (with a short break) for 7 hours. Then spent two hours trying to get to the customer service desk to be told no hotel rooms left in the city. Slept in a chair at the airport, had to pick up my bag and went from CE seat to a middle on Norwegian. No compensation, no TPs, no nothing. The World’s Favourite Airline? I wish they’d all crawl back in the hole they came from. Mood not bettered by LHR T5 mess flying out today…

Richard
    Participant

Some weeks ago I was re-routed from BA onto Air Canada and called to have an “Original Routing Credit” applied to my account, and i received the tier points and Avios within days. If you google “Original Routing Credit” that may help.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Not on BA, but was rerouted by KLM due to bad weather at AMS, flew on EK from BHX via Dubai to CGK, miles and XP points for my original booked flights were awarded within days as normal, I didn’t need to chase anyone to claim miles/XP.

As an example of KLM service I was contacted day before travel to be told that because of expected bad weather my ‘feeder’ flight from BHX would be cancelled and re-route on Emirates was the best option available to get me to my destination within my booked time frame. How many other airlines would be so pro-active?

TominScotland
    Participant

DNAdams, I don’t think compensation is on the cards as the cause of the cancellation was weather, ie. outwith the airline’s control.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls